Perfectly crisp, tender crunchy asparagus made on the grill. Grilling Asparagus on Gas Grill is easy to do! It’s a simple side dish that only takes minutes to make!
Grilling Asparagus on Gas Grill
The first time I tried grilled asparagus was when I moved to a little town in Wisconsin. It was over at my friend Mary’s house and they were so sweet and tender!
I immediately when home and planted some asparagus roots.
Only to find out that they wouldn’t produce for two or three years! I was able to enjoy just a few stalks before moving out of the area, darn it!
The amazing thing about asparagus is that the plant is a perennial. It comes back each year! And each year produces more abundantly than the previous year.
Someone is enjoying delicious spring asparagus right now, don’t you think?!!
How to choose and store asparagus
Now if you’re not lucky enough to head out in the backyard and harvest these tasty stalks this is what you need to look for at the store;
- stalks that are bright green
- the top of the stalk has a slight purple hue
- size indicates the maturity of the stalk – I personally look for thinner stalks rather than the thick ones.
- when you get home, snap off the end of the stalk and store the greens in water, cut side down. They will continue to absorb water keeping them plump and tender!
Asparagus Grill Time
Often the bottom of the stalk is woody and tough to chew. Simply snap off the end and discard or save it to make vegetable broth.
The stalks will be firm and bright green – the tips purple and dark green.
If the stalks are thick you can blanch them for two minutes, but it’s not something I’ve done. I try and choose thin stalks and so it’s not necessary. Anything to cut out an extra step and more dirty dishes, right? 🤣
Absolutely, the young tender stalks are quite tasty raw!
I grill it whenever possible, but if it’s cold, rainy or you just don’t feel like going outside you can certainly roast the asparagus in the oven instead.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Prepare the asparagus as described below, instead bake for 12-15 minutes. Flip the asparagus halfway thru cooking.
Steps to Grilling Asparagus on Gas Grill
Best Way to Grill A
- wash the asparagus well
- snap off the ends
- preheat the grill
- drizzle with olive oil
- sprinkle with salt pepper and seasoning salt
- finish with a squeeze of lemon
More of my favorite Asparagus Recipes!
- Asparagus Soup
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Asparagus Salad Recipe
- Brown Butter Penne with Roasted Vegetables
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Use your favorite seasoning salt!
When you make this recipe, I’d love it if you’d leave a five-star rating below!
If you post a photo, please tag me! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or on Instagram at @bowl_me_over so I can see how yummy they turned out!!
Grilling Asparagus on Gas Grill
- gas grill
- 1 lb. asparagus fresh
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 lemon optional
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees.
- Wash the asparagus well and snap off the woody ends.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and seasoning salt.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side until bright green and tender.
- While the asparagus are grilling slice the lemon in half and add to the grill also, grilling for about two minutes cut side down until it has nice char marks.
- Remove the asparagus from the grill and plate, squeeze the lemon over top and enjoy!