Planning a holiday meal is exciting, but deciding on the perfect side dish can be tricky. Worry no more! We'll discuss the best side dishes to serve with ham for Easter so you can enjoy the special occasion with friends and family.
If you're in need of a perfect recipe for Easter, serve this Slow Cooker Ham with Pineapple—it's almost effortless and totally delicious!
What to serve with ham steak
The best part about a hearty ham dinner is loading up a big plate with all the great side dishes. Plus, since ham is so versatile, there truly is something for everyone to enjoy!
Between apps, veggies, salads, traditional side dishes, quick/easy recipes, and bread, there are plenty of great options to serve with Easter ham. The most popular side dishes for a ham steak complement the sweet glaze and juicy, tender meat.
However, don't be overwhelmed by all of the good options. The best way to create a balanced, satisfying meal is to choose just one or two of your favorite sides from each category. Just like that, your ham steak dinner is finished planning—sides, desserts, and all the goodies!
We love this Orange Marmalade Glazed Ham, but the side dishes in this post go great with your favorite ham steak recipe, too.
Serving appetizers is an easy way to ensure your family and friends don't get too hungry while the Easter ham cooks.
Plus, these creative appetizer ideas have a little bit of extra flavor compared to a grocery store veggie tray, so you'll get bonus hostess points. (Though, don't get me wrong—we still love a good store-bought veggie tray!)
- Tomato tart with goat cheese and capers
- Cheese and prosciutto-stuffed figs
- Spinach and artichoke dip
- Roasted grape crostini
- Bacon-wrapped asparagus
- Cream cheese ball
- Red pepper hummus dip
- Cheese pinwheels
- Italian stuffed mushrooms
- Ham and pickle roll-ups
- Baked Vidalia onion dip with baguette slices
- Brown sugar baked Brie
- Deviled eggs
- Tangy green onion dip
Salads have a reputation as the token "healthy side" to serve with an otherwise delicious meal. However, with zesty flavor, fun toppings, and plenty of different ways to spice them up, you might just crave these salads every night of the week!
- Deviled egg potato salad
- Snap pea salad
- Shaved Brussels sprouts salad
- Radish salad
- Strawberry rhubarb salad
- Creamy broccoli salad with bacon
- Honey-glazed orange salad with pistachios
- Herb panzanella
- Macaroni pasta salad
- Strawberry and spinach salad
- Caesar salad
- Fresh green salad with fruit
- Wedge salad
- Ambrosia salad
Keep up with Easter ham dinner traditions (or make new ones) by serving these family-favorite recipes. Including everything from cheesy sauces to a delicious brown sugar glaze, these decadent side dish ideas deliver major flavor—they're never boring!
- Cheesy pineapple casserole
- Potatoes au gratin
- Green bean casserole
- Smashed fingerling potatoes
- Steamed green beans
- Make-ahead sweet potato casserole
- Roasted broccolini with olive oil
- Buttermilk biscuits
- Oven-baked carrots with mint
- Pan-fried Brussels sprouts
- Baked mac and cheese
- Yeast dinner rolls
- Creamy sweet potatoes
- Roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprouts
- Candied sweet potatoes
- Collard greens
- Cheesy hashbrown potatoes
- Asparagus soup
- Brown sugar and honey-glazed carrots
- Air fryer garlic bread
What's for dessert?
A delicious ham steak dinner just isn't the same without something sweet at the end! Plus, the great thing about desserts is that you can (usually) make them in advance to save valuable oven space on the big day!
- Ricotta cheesecake
- Hot cross buns
- Easy blueberry parfaits
- Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
- Easter dirt cake (pictured above—so cute!)
- Strawberry fudge
- Carrot cake cupcakes
- White chocolate-covered strawberries
- Easter egg-shaped chocolates
- Cheesecake bites
- No-bake lemon icebox pie
- Mini Pavlova meringues
- Rhubarb tart
- Lemon meringue pie
What side dishes don't go with
Though there are plenty of great side dishes to serve with ham for Easter, some are better than others. The following recipe examples would make a great addition to another meal—some other time!
- Produce is best when in season, so I'd save this Fall Harvest Salad recipe for once the leaves start to turn colors.
- These Teriyaki Noodles are way better than the take-out kind, but, either way, the flavors would clash served with an Easter ham.
- Deviled Ham is beyond flavorful and satisfying on a sandwich. However, your meal might feel too repetitive if you serve it as a side for Easter. Save it for your
These sides are also great with...
Always on the lookout for a new, easy dinner recipe? You're in the right place! The best thing about this collection of side dishes is that they go great with everything from a fancy dinner party to a casual Sunday supper with the family.
- Tender and juicy, Instant Pot Pork Loin cooks with a brown sugar balsamic glaze that's so good you could eat it with a spoon.
- Easy-to-prep Apricot Chicken Casserole has the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors. We love the tang from dijon mustard!
- Lots of leftover ham? Try one of these recipes (there are more than 20!) They're great for using up slices of ham, grilled ham steaks, and more.