For many families, taco night is the best part of each week! However, it can be tricky to choose a perfect side dish that'll make your meal complete. Until now, that is! This collection of recipes includes the best side dishes to serve with taco casserole so you can enjoy your Taco Tuesday without any fuss!
What sides go well with Taco Casserole
Taco casserole, like a lot of Mexican food, is made with simple ingredients. When combined, those ingredients sing together in a bright, mouthwatering harmony of flavors.
Since most taco casserole recipes are made with the main ingredients of tacos, you can serve any of your favorite Mexican side dishes with them.
Make standard taco sides more exciting, and don't hesitate to add a little extra flavor to your weeknight dinner! Using herbs (like fresh cilantro), citrus (like fresh lime juice), and sweet, fresh corn is a great way to enhance your Mexican meal.
Crunchy Side salads
I love a creamy, cheesy taco casserole dish as much as the next gal, but sometimes you just need a little something crunchy to serve with it. Side salads are an easy way to add texture and flavor with minimal effort.
- Mexican fruit salad (shown above, yum!)
- Mexican street corn salad
- Southwest salad with black beans, red onion, and vinaigrette
- Heirloom tomato salad
- Romaine garden salad
- Beet salad with cotija and citrus
- Avocado and pinto bean salad
- Mexican coleslaw
- Grilled corn salad with bacon
- Mexican chopped salad with lime dressing
Garlic bread, rice and chips
Make dinner stretch to feed the whole family (and, maybe even have leftovers!) by serving bread and chips with your taco casserole.
- Air-fried tortilla chips
- Air fryer garlic bread
- Store-bought tortilla chips
- Dorito chips
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Cast iron skillet cornbread (pictured above)
- Homemade baked chips from flour tortillas
- Homemade chips from corn tortillas
- Cheese-stuffed garlic bread
- Cornbread zucchini casserole
- Tortilla and cheese quesadillas
- Spanish rice
- Fried tortilla strips
- Frito corn chips
Don't forget dippers for your chips! These easy recipes double as sides and appetizers.
- Classic Velveeta cheese dip
- Ground Beef Taco Dip - this layer dip is always a crowd pleaser!
- Chunky guacamole
- Creamy guacamole
- Spicy mango salsa
- Easy pineapple salad
- Pico de Gallo
- Strawberry salsa
- Homemade salsa
- Black bean salsa
- Roasted Salsa Verde
Crispy fresh vegetables
Fresh veggies are so easy to prep, and it only takes a little bit of time to bring out their best flavors. Serve crispy fresh vegetables along with taco casserole for an easy dinner that leaves you feeling full and happy.
- Mexican corn on the cob
- Garlicky roasted Brussels sprouts
- Air fryer roasted carrots
- Roasted Hatch green chilies
- Roasted green beans and red peppers
- Mexican corn casserole
- Mexican street corn
- Fried avocado dippers
- Pan-fried zucchini
- Pan-roasted vegetables with sauce
- Spicy cauliflower
- Fried green tomatoes
- Sweet hot pickled radishes
- Mexican sweet potatoes (fried and topped with chili powder)
What's for dessert?
Once you're done finding some new favorite sides to serve with taco casserole, it's time to think about dessert! Enjoying a little something sweet after a hearty meal helps the entire family settle down and relax.
- Fresh apricot pie (just look at that slice above—I'm drooling!)
- Fried ice cream
- Homemade churros
- Easy homemade fudge
- Meyer lemon curd
- Dulce de Leche
- Cool Whip ice cream sandwich cake
- Tres Leches cake
- Air fryer pineapple
- Mexican wedding cookies
What side dishes don't go with
While there are so many great side dishes to serve with taco casserole, this post wouldn't be complete without a few warnings. The following recipes are tasty, but keep 'em off the dinner table until some other night of the week.
- Southern-style ham pasta salad is great with classic American dinners, like chicken sandwiches or hamburgers! It'll clash with tacos, though.
- 30-Minute taco salad is packed with zesty flavors and juicy ground turkey, but the flavors are too similar to serve with taco casserole.
- Puff pastry tacos are cute and a great app or quick meal. However, served with casserole, it'll feel like you're eating the same thing twice!
- Broccoli casserole is a delicious, cheesy side, but since taco casserole tends to be cheesy, too, I'd save this side dish for another time.
Tasty taco casserole recipes
There are so many different ways to enjoy taco casserole, and so many fresh ingredients to change things up when you're craving some variety.
So, here are some of easy taco casserole of the mouthwatering main dish. After all, you can never have too many easy taco casserole recipes up your sleeve—er, in your cookbook!
- The one that started it all: cheesy taco casserole is loaded with beans, corn, rice, and ground beef. Plus, you can spice it up to fit your tastes!
- Baked chicken taco casserole is a great recipe when you have leftover chicken to use up. It's cheesy, flavorful, and so satisfying.
- Doritos Casserole Recipe - this is like your favorite taco in casserole form! You'll love that cheesy, crispy topping!!
- With refried beans, beef, and Dorito chips, taco salad casserole is hearty and flavorful—don't let that little word "salad" scare you off! It's a family favorite!