Want an easy breakfast the whole family will enjoy? An easy overnight oats recipe is the answer! Super simple, incredibly delicious and good for you, too. This meal is perfect for busy mornings!
Easy Overnight Oats
Are you a breakfast person? For the longest time, I could never eat breakfast food. I'm not sure why.
Give me leftover pasta, sliced meat from the night before. Leftover lasagna, yes I was that person. Breakfast food never sounded good.
Probably because I was usually eating alone.
Now, Dan and I make a point of eating breakfast together and usually the evening meal too. It just makes it more fun when you're enjoying a meal with someone rather than by yourself!
Honestly, I feel better since I've been more deliberate about mealtime and one of my go-to breakfast meals is overnight oatmeal. It's an easy breakfast and everyone loves it - no boring oatmeal here!
And if you're like us when you're dashing around and you're all going different ways, making it ahead the night before is definitely the way to go!
Knowing that breakfast is nutritious? Big plus there!!!
Overnight Oatmeal Recipe
Do you eat overnight oatmeal hot or cold?
Actually you can eat them either way. The trick is - you simply mix up the oatmeal the night before and tuck it in the fridge. The next day, enjoy!
Heat it up, don't heat it up - it's totally up to you!
Is overnight oatmeal healthy?
Yes, this is a super healthy meal and what a great way to start the day!
- Oats are really good for you! A great source fiber, oats fill you up fast and longer and can help you loose weight!
- As a whole grain, oats can help you lower your risk for diabetes (and you know I'm always talking about that!) and also help reduce your cholesterol.
- A bowl of oatmeal is a balanced meal and contains lots of good nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- If the reasons above don't convince you - then how about this... oatmeal is delicious!
How long do they last?
Easy overnight oats will last in the refrigerator up to five days. If you make them in small mason jars, you can even screw on the lid and tuck them into your purse or lunch bag. No need to skip breakfast now!
What types of oats are best for you?
You'll easily find several different types of oatmeal at the grocery store. The most common are:
- Steel cut oats are the least processed and are considered more nutritious. They take a little longer to cook and taste nuttier than rolled oats, but they are delicious! Can you use steel cut oatmeal in overnight oats? Yes, you'll just need to use more liquid. (takes the longest to cook)
- Rolled oats, often called old-fashioned oats, would be my second choice as they are processed a bit more than the steel cut. (very inexpensive!)
- Instant Oatmeal has been processed the most and often has added sugars and preservatives. (quick and easy)
Here's the deal - choose whichever oatmeal works best for you, your family and your budget! No judgment, right?
If you can get a good, nutritious meal in your kids, hubby, best gal - whomever - before they hit the road in the morning, that's what matters!
Ingredients for Easy Overnight Oats Recipe
- steel cut or old-fashioned oatmeal
This Overnight Oats Recipe can be a total brunch thing - cute and deliciously served in small jelly jars and easily stored in the refrigerator.
You can make it ahead so that's a definite plus! It's also perfect for a weekday breakfast.
In a hurry? Double the recipe!
It will last in the fridge up to five days.
Here's how easy this is to make!
- Measure equal parts of Oatmeal and liquid - such as milk, nut milk or even yogurt. Pour it over the oatmeal. Cover it and refrigerate overnight.
- If you're using steel cut oatmeal, increase the liquid by half - instead of 1 cup use 1 ½ cups.
- In the morning, simply slice and chop your favorite fruit. Add granola, chopped nuts or a spoonful of chia seeds and serve. It's really that easy!
- Top the oatmeal with ingredients you enjoy! This is a total "make it your way" type recipe! Don't have strawberries? Use blueberries, sliced peaches or raspberries. Chia seeds not your thing? Chopped walnuts or pecans would be delicious. A spoonful of your favorite granola will add a nice crunch!
Not into breakfast oatmeal? Then have a couple 3 ingredient Oatmeal cookies! They are perfect for breakfast, trust me!
More breakfast recipes to enjoy!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
- Measuring Spoons - I love the shape of these because they fit into spice jars
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you post a photo, please tag me! I'd love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you're on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can't wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
Easy Overnight Oats Recipe
Easy Overnight Oats
- 1 cup steel cut or old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup granola
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Split the oatmeal between two bowls stir and add ½ cup of milk to each bowl. Cover it and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, slice and chop your favorite fruit. Top the oatmeal with granola, chopped nuts and/or a spoonful of chia seeds and serve. It's really that easy!