Homemade Tomato Relish Recipe – Fresh tomatoes, onions and peppers combine with delicious pickling ingredients to become a fabulous new condiment with bright fresh flavor! This post has been upgraded from August 2017 to improve reader experience.
Tomato Relish Recipe
I’m excited to share this recipe with you today. It’s an old family recipe, it’s been in the family for 100+ years!
And since we are coming up to summer and you soon may have a tomato…. or two….. or ten extras….. Tomato Relish will help you preserve some of those tomatoes and trust me, this will be your new favorite condiment!
It is easy and delicious and when you make tomato relish you tuck the leftovers in the fridge and it lasts over a month! (Honestly I think it will last longer, but I’ve never been able to keep it that long because we eat it that quickly!)
This was my Great Grandma Amy’s recipe. When my Grandmother passed away, my Aunt was kind enough to give me her old cookbooks and notes. I have several great family recipes on the blog – Refrigerator Pickles, my Mom’s recipe for Taco Soup and Macaroni and Cheese.
What might look like tatters and notes to some, was a treasure trove of memories to me! As I was going thru this recipe, I originally thought it was my Grandma’s, but I didn’t recognize the handwriting.
After searching thru more records, I realized the tomato relish recipe was my Great Grandma Amy’s. It’s been in our family for over 100 years!
This recipe uses everyday ingredients that will give you an over-the-top new condiment! Tomato Relish will quickly become a new favorite!
And trust me, you’ll want to double the recipe!
What is tomato relish?
I know this because the first time I made it…. we ate it all. So then I had to make it again and we ate it. In fact, I made it three times before I got a chance to photograph it, it’s that good!
Shopping list for Relish Recipe
- yellow onion
- Fresno or jalapeño pepper
- celery seed
- red wine vinegar
What will you use this delicious Homemade Relish on?
- Toss it in macaroni salad for an extra added zing!
- Layer it on a toasted bagel with cream cheese, delish!
- Use it as a light salad dressing – it really has great flavor!
- Exchange tomato relish for pickles in potato salad – yum!
- Finish off a grilled veggie patty – everyone will be saying WOW that’s good!
- Better yet – enjoy with my Slow Cooker Mushroom Burger!
- Topping grilled vegetables will give them extra flavor.
- Slather on Toast Points
- Serve alongside a delicious Omelet
- Add it to your Egg Salad to give an extra POP!
- It’s delicious over a country omelet!
- Top off your favorite burger!
Whatever you use ketchup or salsa on you can replace with this amazing recipe!
Fresh Tomato Relish Recipes
How do you make tomato and onion relish?
- Dice the tomatoes and onion.
- Slice the chili pepper, remove the ribs and seeds. (if desired), finely dice.
- Mix together the ingredients.
- Pour into a small jar and seal.
- Let stand for at least an hour. Refrigerate any unused portions.
Suggested pairings for this relish
- Kimchi Burger – Bowl Me Over
- Comeback Crackers – Take Two Tapas
- Mushroom Omelette Recipe with Microgreens – Platter Talk
- Slow Cooker Mushroom Burger – Bowl Me Over
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
If you’re doing any canning here are the essential ingredients to get you started. Canning Supplies
More yummy tomato recipes!
If you love this as much as we do, be sure to leave a five star rating below! I reply to every comment on the blog and I’d appreciate to hear what you think of this recipe!
Oooh! And if you make this, be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or use the hashtag #bowlmeover – that’s me!
Homemade Tomato Relish Recipe
- 1 cup diced tomatoes finely diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced finely diced
- 1/2 Fresno chili pepper or jalapeño pepper finely diced, seeds removed
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Finely dice the tomatoes and onion.
- Slice the chili pepper in half, remove the ribs and seeds. Finely dice.
- Mix together all of the ingredients. Pour into a small jar and seal. Let stand for at least an hour. Refrigerate any unused portions.
- Keeps in the refrigerator up to two weeks.
Sign up for emails here!Don't worry, we don't share emails!
This post was first shared on Healing Tomato as a guest post – be sure to check out this blog for more delicious recipes!!