Halloween Hot Dog Fingers - Super scary and perfect spooky "finger" food for your party! Severed finger hot dogs are fun food for your ghosts and goblins to gobble up before heading out for trick or treating!
Love these, be sure to try the Crescent Rolls Hot Dog Recipe - the kids will love these as well!
☠️ Why you'll love this recipe
Super fun, you won't have any problems getting the littles to eat a filling meal before trick or treating!
The "fingers" are really simple to make as well. Decorating with ketchup makes the ghoul-worthy!
🕸️ Recipe backstory
We moved out to the country when I was in the third grade. I'm not gonna lie, it was scary! I didn't know anyone and remember the kids whispering about me at recess.
Trick or Treating wasn't a whole lot of fun either. We had to walk ½ mile just to get to one house!
When we lived in town it was great! We'd tromp around with pillowcases filled with piles of candy before we quit for the night!
Luckily the first year we were out there, my folks made arrangements so my friend Laurie and I could go into town and trick or treat. Laurie's Mom planned to come out and get me and then we'd head back into town.
Sounds perfect, right?
Well Dad decided he would scare the girls, so before they got there he made a ghost out of a sheet, sat an old chair at the corner of the house and piped super scary music outside.
When they finally pulled in and got out of the car, Dad rose up out of the chair (right beside their vehicle).
Everyone screamed. Laurie peed her pants. I didn't get to go trick or treating that year, or ever again! 🤣
- hotdog buns
- catsup, mustard and any other toppings you enjoy on hot dogs!
🎃 How do you cut a hot dog to look like a finger?
It's really quite easy to make this extra creepy effect! Let me walk thru the steps:
- To make the fingernails, score the two sides of the fingernail, then straight across the top and bottom. Use the tip of the paring knife to peel the patch off to make the bottom nail bed.
- To make the knuckles or finger joints, simple score the three to four slices for each "knuckle" being careful not to slice completely
throughthe hot dog.
- Tear off the end of each hot dog to give them a "severed" look.
🦇 Severed Finger Hot Dogs
Watch this video for a complete step-by-step tutorial to make this spooky meal!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
🕷️ How do you cook the Halloween Hot Dog Fingers?
- I like grilling them because they blister and get great grill marks, plus we enjoy the taste of a grilled dog,
- Boil the hot dog fingers for 5-6 minutes.
- Microwave the dogs. Wrap them in the paper towels and microwave for
30 secondintervals until heated through.
⚰️ More fun Halloween food and treats!
Mummy Meatloaf, caramel apples
- Mummy Pot Pies - who wouldn't want to grab their spoon and dig in this super savory pot pie? It's a beef based savory mixture with carrots, peas with a meat gravy.
- Warm up your littles after Trick-or-Treating with this Crock Pot Hot Chocolate - it simmers in your slow cooker while you're out painting the town with the kids! Top it with Halloween sprinkles for a fun festive party!
- Halloween Rice Krispie Treat - super sweet and fun, these are a spooky treat and an easy Halloween recipe!
- Easy to make Halloween Meatballs are great for a party, serve with your favorite red sauce!
- Be sure and make Spooky 7 Layer Dip to start off the festivities! Don't let the name scare you away, this fun dip can be customized to fit your party!
- Homemade Caramel Apples - bright crispy apples covered in gooey caramel sauce, I make these every year for Dan and I. What a treat!
- THESE little Mummy jalapeños poppers are adorable and tasty! Perfect finger food for your party!
Isn't this the perfect Halloween meal? Another super scary fun meal is this recipe for Mummy Meatloaf along with mummy dogs - simple to make but your kids BIG and small will get a kick and enjoyment out of this meal!
Are you still scratching your head looking for the perfect Halloween costumes? Here are some terrific ideas for fun, homemade costumes!
Click here for all my fun themed food for your Halloween Party!
Life's too short to take yourself too seriously, right? I hope you enjoy this fun Halloween Hot Dog Fingers Recipe and make them for your Halloween get together!
Halloween Severed Fingers Recipe
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- ½ cup catsup
- To make the finger nails, score the two sides of the "nail", then a slight curved or crescent slice across the top and bottom, in the shape of a finger nail. Use a sharp knife and remove the thin strips to make a nail bed.
- Next make the knuckle lines, simply score the three to four slices or small lines for each "knuckle". Be careful not to slice completely thru the hot dog.
- Tear off the end of each hot dog to make them appear "severed".
- Grill lengthwise on the grill for about two minutes per side until the dogs are blistered and heated through.
- Dip the end of the hot dog in ketchup to get the bloody effect and splatter some on the dogs and buns. The goal is to make them look like a bloody finger - eek!
- Place each dog in a hot dog bun and on a big platter with additional toppings if desired. Enjoy this and have fun with it!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
Originally published October 16, 2019 - Last updated October 30, 2021