What child (big or small!) wouldn't love to devour a super scary mummy pot pie before heading out for trick or treating?!! These pot pies are easy to make, super savory and perfect Halloween Party Food!
Looking for more recipes, check out this Halloween Meatloaf Recipe!
Why you'll love this recipe
Shhhh..... don't tell but I bet the kids won't even notice that it is full of frozen veggies because they will be having soo much fun eating this meal!
Halloween is a big deal for me, always has been! When we were kids we'd dress up and do a ton of trick or treating!
Back then we'd use pillow cases for candy and would literally drag them home when they were full. And still I stand at the door every year handing out piles of tasty treats.
Dan always shakes his head - you should only give out a couple or you're going to run out! But it's so fun watching the kids each year, I haven't the heart... I just buy extra candy.
So like Mummy Meatloaf - Mummy Pot Pies are easy to make and fun! Filled with a savory filling, they are delicious and super yummy Halloween Party Food!
Ingredients for Halloween Beef Pot Pies
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- ground beef
- frozen mixed vegetables
- Montreal Steak Seasoning
- canned beef broth
- store-bought pie dough
- all purpose flour
- black olives (for eyes)
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions for the halloween pot pies just scroll down to the bottom!
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter, dice the onion and saute.
- Add the hamburger and brown the meat.
- Seasoning well, add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Add the flour and cook until well incorporated.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the stock, stirring the entire time. Cook until the meat mixture thicks.
- Remove from heat. Spoon mixture into small pie tins.
- Cut the pie dough into narrow strips and lay haphazardly on the pies. Don't forget to add olives for eyes!
- Brush with beaten egg
. Placeall the finished pot pies on cookingsheet and bake until golden brown.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Mini Pot Pie Casserole Dishes - these are so cute! I have a couple sets of these!
Test with an instant read thermometer - the inside of a pie should be 160 degrees. The crust of the pie will be golden brown.
This recipe is thickened with flour, just follow the instructions below. You can also thicken pot pie with cornstarch. Use two tablespoons cornstarch and two tablespoons cold water. Make sure the water is cold or the slurry will be lumpy.
Yes as the meat mixture cooks with the flour, it will thicken in the oven.
To make the top crust really glisten, brush the top of the pie with an egg wash - they will glisten after baking!
I prefer not to use a second pie crust. It seems like the bottom of the pie just gets soggy.
Be random as you're placing the wrapping on the pie. That's what gives it that "mummy" look! Just be sure to place a couple of sliced olives in for the "eyes". You can use black olives or green olives (with pimentos) - that would be super fun!.
More fun halloween recipes
Put together a crockpot filled with Hot Chocolate for when the kids are done trick or treating! One less thing to do when you get home!
- For appetizers, make these yummy Mummy Jalapeños Poppers or mummy meatballs - we love finger food, how about you? Mummy Wrapped Brie is perfect for your grown-up guests!
- I think it's really important to fill those bellies before the kids go out trick or treating so serve up something substantial like Halloween Meatloaf - there's a how-to for mummy hot dogs as well!
- Or Severed Finger Hotdogs - don't worry they are gruesome, but the kids love them and they will have a blast making them!
- These Severed Head Halloween Potatoes are too fun and will go great with your meal!
Are you looking for more fun Halloween Party Food? There's a ton of recipes on the blog. Like this blog, completely devoted to the day! Happy Halloween!
Mummy Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon montreal steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ½ tbls flour
- 14.5 oz can beef broth
- 1 pie dough
- 8 olives
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large fry pan, melt butter. Dice the onion. Sauté for about five minutes.
- Add the hamburger and brown sprinkle with steak seasoning, salt and black pepper. Saute until browned add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Sprinkle with flour. Cook and blend the flour until it is well incorporated - a couple of minutes. Increase the heat to medium high and add the beefstock, stirring the entire time. Cook for 4-5 minutes the meat mixture will thicken. Remove from heat.
- Ladle the pot pie filling into pie tins.
- Take the pie dough and cut into narrow strips and lay on top of the meat pies. There's no rhyme or reason - crooked and overlapping is good! Tuck a couple olives in for the eyes. Brush with beaten egg.
- Place all the finished pot pies on cooking sheet and bake until golden brown.