Easy Taco Soup
This is a recipe everyone must have handy, because if you can brown ground beef and use your can opener …..you can make this soup! I love this recipe because it is truly that easy and that good!
This is pretty much my Mom’s recipe, though I’ve changed it just a bit. It starts with browning one pound of hamburger meat, draining off the excess fat, then adding a chopped onion and a taco seasoning packet.
Next you’ll pouring in several different cans of beans, corn and canned tomatoes – juices and all.
A can of sliced olives and about half a can of chopped jalepenos. If you really like the heat, then add the whole can.
And then you let it simmer! In fact if you brown the meat first, you can even toss everything in your slow cooker. Garnish it with chopped tomatoes, jalepenos, sour cream and some chips. But seriously, this soup can stand on it’s own without any garnish – it’s just delicious! And on day two, of course it’s even better! Day three if you’re thinking you’re tired of it, then either freeze it (as this soup freezes great) or make Souper Nachos! Just drain off the liquid and top your favorite chips, add some cheese and toss it into the oven to get the cheese all melty (insert picture here…) well I was supposed to have a picture of this….but we ate them before I thought to snap a photo! 😀 Sorry you’ll have to forgive me! Just know the leftovers make fabulous nachos too!
Easy Taco Soup
Easy Taco Soup is a spicy and delicious soup that's made with pantry staples! If you can open a can - you can make this fabulous soup - let's get cooking!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 can sliced olives
- 1 14.5 oz can kidney beans
- 1 14.5 oz can pinto beans
- 1 14.5 oz hominy don't like hominy? substitute a can of green beans
- 1 14.5 oz can corn
- 2 tablespoons canned jalepenos chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 14 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- Brown hamburger meat and drain well. Add the chopped onion and taco seasoning packet. Sauté for a couple of minutes. Open all of the cans - do not drain - and dump everything (juice and all!) in with the taco meat. Increase the heat to high and bring everything to a boil, stir well. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally. Simmer for one hour covered. Serve with chopped cilantro, sour cream & tortilla chips.
- **This is also a great crock pot recipe. If you choose to use the slow cooker, just brown the meat and pour it directly in the slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients - stir to combine, cover & cook on low for 4 hours.