Tender chicken packed with southwestern flavors made in the crock pot! Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken is an easy-to-make meal great for a salad or chicken burrito bowl this perfect for busy weeknights when you don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen!
Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken
Busy week ahead? Then you’re going to love this meal! It’s perfect for meal planning – sandwiches, wraps, salad, bowls – you name it! Double it up and freeze half and you’ll be ready when you don’t want to cook!
Not only is this a meal in a bowl – you’re going to be even more excited about it because it starts in the slow cooker! Yep, it’s a set it and forget it kinda meal. Love that!
I did not take a ton of pictures of the slow cooker process. Well… mostly because you don’t need one! Boneless skinless chicken breasts, an onion, a can of enchilada sauce, taco seasoning and salt.
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- yellow onion
- red enchilada sauce – homemade or store-bought your choice!
That’s the basics – if you want to make this a bowl or a wrap, here are more ingredients for this meal.
- hominy or black beans
- cherry tomatoes
- red onions
- black olives
- yellow bell pepper
- cotija cheese
- flour toritillas
- lemons or limes
- sour cream
Of course I made mine into a bowl! That’s no surprise, right?!!
Confession time, I love Chipotle’s Burrito Bowls, so I started the bowls with tasty Tex Mex Rice!
Want to pump up the flavor of ordinary boiled rice? Ditch the water and substitute your favorite stock – chicken/beef or vegetable stock and add a pinch of salt.
When it’s done mix in lime zest and a squeeze of juice and you’ll have a delicious and easy Tex Mex Rice!Deb Clark
Next top off with some greens – a good handful of baby spinach and a few leaves of cilantro. Hominy or black beans and shredded chicken
The protein is takes a back seat to all of these crunchy grains and the beautiful fresh vegetables!
Top it off with crumbled cotija cheese – pronounced [Ko-tee-hah]. Cotija is a Mexican cow’s milk cheese. It’s quite pungent and salty and ridiculously yummy!
Are burrito bowls served hot or cold?
Certainly it’s your own personal preference, but I prefer the chicken, rice and beans served warm.
Are burrito bowls good for you?
It depends on what and how much you pile on your bowl. All things in moderation, right? 😋
Rather than serve this with salad dressing top it with a heaping spoonful of your favorite salsa and just
Serve lemon or lime wedges alongside. That fresh burst of citrus finishes it off perfectly. Save the heavy salad dressing for another meal!
How long does a burrito bowl last in the fridge?
Leftover should last 3-4 days in the fridge! This recipe makes four generous bowls and on day two it was just as delicious!
You’ll have two leftover chicken breasts and I used those for nachos on day three or grab a tortilla and make a wrap.
Crockpot Chicken Burrito Bowl
Steps to make Sant Fe Chicken
- Spray the crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- Top with onions.
- Sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt.
- Pour over the enchilada sauce.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Shred the meat for serving!
Simple and delicious, crockpot chicken burrito bowl is an easy meal!
serve with Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken!
If you’re looking to make it a party, click here for all of the BEST Mexican Food Recipes!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
- You’ll need a great knife for all of this slicing and dicing! Click here for the knives I use and recommend.
- Here’s an affordable set of cutting boards for the kitchen.
If you post a photo, please tag me! I’d love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you’re on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can’t wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken
Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken Bowl
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion peeled and sliced into wedges
- 1 15 oz can Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- The morning of your meal lightly spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay the onions on the bottom, top with the chicken breasts, sprinkle with taco seasoning & salt, pour the enchilada sauce over the top.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove two of the chicken breasts from the slow cooker. Dice into bite sized pieces.