Skillet Chicken and Zucchini is a one pot meal. It’s creamy, easy to make and delicious! It’s flavorful and stuffed with zucchini and topped with cheese. Even your pickiest eaters will have a hard time saying no to this meal!
Chicken and Zucchini cooked in one skillet with onions and a melted cheese sauce on top. One pan, easy and a delicious 30 minute meal!
- ground chicken – though you can certainly substitute ground, beef, turkey or pork.
- zucchini and onions– great way to use up zucchini and onions for flavor!
- shredded cheese – for cheesy goodness.
- cream of chicken soup – tops this off for creamy goodness. None in the pantry? Substitute with cream of mushroom or celery.
- salsa, chili powder and cumin – lots of warm spices for tons of flavor.
Chicken and Zucchini comes together super quick! Here’s how easy it is to make!
- Brown the chicken.
- Add the onions and zucchini.
- Next season with cumin and chili powder.
- Whisk together the salsa and cream of chicken soup.
- Pour on top of the casserole.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly!
Absolutely, you can substitute the meat with ground, beef, turkey or pork. Additionally you can use cubed chicken.
Substitute the ground chicken with two cans of drained black beans. Use cream of celery soup in place of the chicken – delicious!
Fresh zucchini should be dark green in color and firm. When you slice into it the flesh will be creamy yellow or white.
Zucchini’s last quite a while in the fridge at least a week or two.
Don’t wash it before you store it. Keep it in a plastic or paper bag unsealed so the air can circulate. Store in the vegetable drawer in the fridge.
It will be super soft, the skin will be dull and you’ll be able to see bad spots and decay. It’s pretty obvious!
If it has been coated in wax, it needs to be peeled but that isn’t a common practice in our area. I never peel them. Of course if it’s fresh zucchini from your garden or the farmers market, that’s never a problem!
Wash it well, slice off the end and the stem. Slice it lengthwise and then into half moons.
Unfortunately zucchini doesn’t freeze well. It becomes watery and looses it’s texture.
Why you will LOVE this recipe?
Double this recipe, it’s unbelievably delicious! Trust me on this until you make it and then you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s really simple ingredients, but combined it becomes SO GOOD!
Cast iron skillet is the way to go here.
It browns the meat beautifully and holds up to baking in the oven. From there it goes right to the table for serving, just be sure you wrap the handle of the skillet.
Stretch it with….
You can easily stretch out this meal by adding additional ground chicken or canned, drained beans – I’ve used pinto, kidney or black beans.
Adding one cup rice to the skillet, along with two cups of water or chicken stock and you can double the servings. Just be sure to bake it long enough to cook the rice.
I kept it easy and just served this easy Skillet Chicken and Zucchini with chips, but you can serve it over rice or pasta. Other side dishes I’d recommend are great Southwest Salad or this Mexican Street Corn dish both would be perfect served with this meal!
More one pot meals
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your pictures! And if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Chicken and Zucchini
- 1 lb. ground chicken can substitute ground turkey or beef.
- 4 zucchini four small zucchinis sliced. You need about six cups
- 1 onion diced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the chicken over medium heat. Cook it until it's no longer pink. Drain if necessary. While it's cooking, dice the onion and slice the zucchini.
- Add the onions and zucchini to the browned meat. Season with cumin and chili powder. Cook for 6-8 minutes just until the onions begin to soften.
- Remove the meat mixture from the heat. Stir the cream of chicken soup together with the salsa. Pour over the skillet. Top with shredded cheese.
- Place uncovered in the oven for 15 minutes. Bake until hot and bubbly and all of the cheese melted.
- If desired top with diced tomatoes and cilantro. Serve over rice or with chips – enjoy!