Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini is a one pot meal. It's creamy, easy to make and delicious! It's flavorful and stuffed with zucchini and topped with cheese. Even your pickiest eaters will have a hard time saying no to this meal!
Love this meal? Be sure to try the Taco Spaghetti Recipe next - it a real family favorite!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Chicken and Zucchini cooked in one skillet with onions and a melted cheese sauce on top. One pan, easy and a delicious 30 minute meal!
Double this recipe, it's unbelievably delicious! It's filled with fresh ingredients and though they are simple ingredients, it's just the best combination.
This is one of my favorite easy ground chicken recipes - I hope you really enjoy it!
For the exact measurements for the ground chicken recipe, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- ground chicken - though you can certainly substitute lean ground beef, turkey or pork as well well as boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- four medium zucchini and large red onion - great way to use up large zucchini and onions! You can also substitute yellow squash and green onions.
- shredded cheese - for cheesy goodness.
- cream of chicken soup - tops this off for creamy goodness. None in the pantry? Substitute with cream of mushroom or celery.
- salsa, chili powder and ground cumin - lots of warm spices for tons of flavor. If you'd prefer less heat, substitute ½ black pepper for the chili powder.
Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini comes together super quick! For the complete instructions scroll to the bottom, here's a a quick overview to show you how easy it is to make!
- Brown the chicken in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and zucchini, move vegetables around to sauté.
- Add the spice mixture, season with cumin and chili powder.
- Whisk together the salsa and cream of chicken soup.
- Pour on top of the casserole.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake the Mexican Chicken until hot and bubbly!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Absolutely, you can substitute the meat with ground, beef, turkey or pork. Additionally you can use cubed chicken.
Substitute the ground chicken with two cans of drained black beans. Use cream of celery soup in place of the chicken - delicious!
Fresh zucchini should be dark green in color and firm. When you slice into it the flesh will be creamy yellow or white.
Zucchini's last quite a while in the fridge at least a week or two.
Don't wash it before you store it. Keep it in a plastic or paper bag unsealed so the air can circulate. Store in the vegetable drawer in the fridge.
It will be super soft, the skin will be dull and you'll be able to see bad spots and decay. It's pretty obvious!
If it has been coated in wax, it needs to be peeled but that isn't a common practice in our area. I never peel them. Of course if it's fresh zucchini from your garden or the farmers market, that's never a problem!
Wash it well, slice off the end and the stem. Slice it lengthwise and then into half moons.
Unfortunately zucchini doesn't freeze well. It becomes watery and looses it's texture.
Cast iron skillet is the way to go here! It browns the meat beautifully and holds up to baking in the oven. From there it goes right to the dinner table for serving, just be sure you wrap the handle of the skillet.
If you prefer, use a large nonstick skillet will work as well.
It's an easy dish and a great skillet dinner the whole family will love!
You can easily stretch out this meal by adding additional ground chicken or canned, drained beans - I've used pinto, kidney or black beans. Those are great additions!
Adding one cup cooked rice or brown rice to the skillet. Sprinkling in a packet of taco seasoning will give it even more flavor.
Taco seasoning is a great substitution if you don't have the spices. Use 1 or 2 teaspoon taco seasoning to taste.
The addition of a cup of sweet corn is tasty as well. A couple of medium bell peppers would be tasty too. If you like spice then add some zip with cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
Topping the casserole with shredded cheddar or a cup of colby jack cheese and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro plus a dollop of sour cream is AMAZING!
Serve this easy Skillet Chicken and Zucchini with chips, and minced fresh herbs. A small cup cilantro would be great as garnish or to pass at the table. Serve it over rice, pasta or with toasted corn or flour tortillas, YUM!
This Rotel Chicken Casserole is filled with cheese, tender chicken and the best Tex Mex flavor! Your family will love this casserole - you'll love it because it's so simple and good!
If you're looking for authentic flavor, make this Posole Recipe, the tender pork and hominy, it's unbelievably delicious!
Another fantastic cast iron skillet meal is Salisbury Steak! It makes its own gravy, it's easy to make and delicious!
If you still have some zucchini to use, try this recipe for Zucchini Bread next!
Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini Recipe
- 1 lb. ground chicken can substitute ground turkey or beef.
- 4 zucchini four small zucchinis sliced. You need about six cups.
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 cup colby jack cheese or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large deep skillet. Saute the chicken until it's golden brown and no longer pink. Drain if necessary. While it's cooking, dice the onion and slice the zucchini.
- Add the onions and zucchini to the browned meat. Season with cumin and chili powder. Move mixture around and saute for 6-8 minutes just until the onions begin to soften.
- Remove the meat mixture from the heat. Sprinkle inc Stir the cream of chicken soup together with the salsa. Pour over the skillet. Top with shredded cheese.
- Place uncovered in the oven for 15 minutes. Bake until hot and bubbly and all of the cheese melted.
- If desired top with diced tomatoes and cilantro. Serve over rice or with chips - enjoy!