Moist and tender skillet chicken and potatoes is a great one pot meal! Filled with red bell peppers, salty Kalamata olives and tangy lemon wedges. It’s easy to make and a meal the whole family will enjoy!.
This is a tasty meal I cooked on Facebook live this week! It’s so simple and delicious I knew it was a meal I should add to the blog. I think you’ll really enjoy it!
- bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs – though you can certainly use drumsticks or chicken breast – really any cut you enjoy.
- potatoes – small baby potatoes are my first choice, however if you have large russet potatoes that works too. Peel the potatoes and dice into two inch chunks.
- yellow onion, red bell pepper, lemon and salty Kalamata olives
- for the marinade you’ll need: olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- diced tomatoes and parsley for garnish.
- Add the seasonings – olive oil, Italian seasoning, red wine vinegarsalt, pepper and garlic powder to a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken and massage and refrigerate.
- Slice the lemon into wedges. Slice potatoes in half so they are uniform in size, peel and slice the onions.
- Preheat the oven,
- Remove the meat from the marinade, shaking off the excess heat.
- Fry the chicken skin side down for about three minutes. Remove and set on a platter.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet give it a good shake to coat them with oil.
- Add the onions and red pepper to the skillet. Top with chicken, skin side up. Tuck the olives and ½ of the lemon slices wherever they fit.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Check the temperature of the chicken. It is done when it registers 165 degrees on an instant read meat thermometer and when the potatoes are fork tender.
🙋🏼♀️ Recipe FAQ’s
Yes and topping the vegetables with the marinaded meat allows it to baste the veggies as the cook making them so tasty!!!
I love this easy marinade for this meal. If you want to take a shortcut use ½ cup Italian salad dressing instead of making your own..
Baking at 375 degrees cooks the chicken thoroughly and helps crisp up the skin.
Absolutely! Place the potatoes in the bottom of the skillet and the chicken skin-side up, on top. Allow the flavors from the marinaded chicken baste the potatoes and vegetables as they cook.
Great question! Whole “baby” potatoes take 40-50 minutes to cook but when potatoes are cubed or quartered they cook more quickly – 30-40 minutes.
Don’t skimp on the Kalamata olives! It seems many aren’t as fond of this olive as the regular black olives, but they are so salty and add just the right amount of tang to skillet chicken and potatoes.
If these aren’t for you substitute with salty green olives, you’ll love the bite and tanginess they add to the dish.
Meal Prep – this is a great freezer prep meal. Prepare the marinade, add the chicken and massage it in the meat. Then seal the bag and place it directly in the freezer.
When you’re ready to make this meal, allow the meat to thaw in the refrigerator first before baking.
Well sealed, It will last up to three months in the freezer.
What goes good with skillet chicken and potatoes?
Something green would go really nicely with this meal! Grilled asparagus or roasted broccoli would be great choices! And if you didn’t want to roast them separately add them to the skillet and they can cook right along with the chicken.
More easy meals to try and enjoy!
- Skillet Chicken and Zucchini – another great one pot meal. It’s creamy, easy to make and delicious! The pan is stuffed with zucchini, seasoned chicken and topped with a creamy, cheesy sauce!
- One Pan Steak Dinner – cook the perfect steak and sides all in one pan!
- Unstuffed Pepper Casserole – Easy to make because there’s no fuzzy prep work and it’s so delicious!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Skillet Chicken and Potatoes
- 4 chicken thighs bone in/skin on
- 1 ½ lbs. potatoes I used baby red potatoes, but you can use any potato you prefer
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- ½ red pepper seeded and diced
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges, seeds removed.
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives go a little heavy on the olives, they add so much flavor!
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder to a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken and massage everything around. Refrigerate for two hours or overnight.
- *If you're making a freezer meal, stop here and freeze the chicken with the marinade until you're ready to bake the meal.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off the excess. Discard the marinade, it can not be reused.
- Slice the lemon into wedges. Slice potatoes in half so they are uniform in size. Peel and slice the onions, cutting them into wedges also.
- Heat your skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- When the skillet is hot add the chicken thighs – skin side down and saute for about three minutes until the chicken is golden brown. Remove and set on a platter.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet. Give the skillet a good shake to coat with the oil from the pan.
- Now add the onions and red bell pepper chunks to the skillet. Top with the chicken, placing it skin side up. Tuck the olives and ½ of the lemon slices in wherever they fit.
- Place in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. The meal is ready when the chicken registers 165 degrees on an instant read meat thermometer and when the potatoes are fork tender.
- If the skin of the chicken doesn't crispy up, tuck it under the broiler for 3-5 minutes until crispy.