Sausage Peppers and Onions Pasta is simple to make, and can be on the table in just 30 minutes. Plus, it is loaded with flavor. You will love the combination of sausage, peppers, and onions.
Next time be sure to try this Tuna Casserole Recipe!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ This one pot meal is ready in under 30 minutes, perfect for busy weeknights!
✔️ An easy recipe that is packed with tasty Italian flavors.
✔️ Like the Old Fashioned Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe, leftovers taste even better the next day, love that!
For the exact measurements to make the Sausage Peppers and Onions Pasta, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- chopped white onions
- chopped red bell peppers - I used a combination of red and yellow bell peppers, but you can use green peppers as well.
- ground pepper
- garlic powder
- celery seeds
- ground Italian sausage
- pasta sauce
- penne pasta, rotini pasta, short cut pasta or use your favorite pasta.
- fresh shredded Mozzarella
- grated Parmesan cheese
This is an overview of the instructions for this easy dinner. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain well.
- In a large pan, sauté the onions, peppers and sausage until the sweet sausage is no longer pink.
- Add pasta sauce and simmer for five minutes. If the pasta sauce is thick, add in a small amount of pasta water.
- Toss the pasta in the sauce and vegetable mix.
- Top with cheese then serve and enjoy.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- large pot or dutch oven
- large skillet
I like to eat this dish with a side salad and some crusty bread.
Yes, you can make this dish ahead of time. Just cook the pasta and vegetables then store in the fridge. Reheat when you are ready to eat.
For this pasta recipe, I diced my onions into half inch pieces. I diced the peppers to the same size.
Peppers cook faster than onions.
Things to know
- If you don't have Italian sausage, you can use ground beef, pork sausage turkey or chicken.
- I like to use mild Italian sausage in this recipe, but you can use spicy Italian sausage if you prefer.
- If you are using italian sausage links instead of ground sausage remove the links from the casing.
- A can of Rotel would also taste amazing in this pasta dish.
- Instead of garlic powder and celery seeds you could use Italian Seasoning.
- Make this sauce extra creamy by pouring in some heavy cream.
- Olive oil makes a great replacement for butter when cooking the onions and peppers.
- Cook the pasta per the package directions for perfect al dente pasta.
- Add some heat to this recipe by adding crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Cajun seasoning is another great way to add some extra flavor to this dish.
- Zucchini, summer squash, broccoli florets, mushrooms or eggplant would be great in this dish.
- Change this recipe up by adding cooked rice instead of pasta.
- Pepper jack cheese would be a great swap for the mozzarella in this recipe.
- Try serving this dish over some cooked spaghetti squash for a low carb option.
- Pour in a dash of red wine for a deep and rich flavor.
- Chicken sausage or turkey sausage is an excellent low fat protein for this pasta.
Refrigerate - Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Freezer - You can freeze this dish for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight then reheat on the stove.
Reheat - To reheat, add the pasta to a large skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of water or chicken broth if the sauce is too thick. Cook until heated through.
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Chicken and Broccoli Pasta is a creamy, cheesy pasta recipe that makes for an easy weeknight meal.
- Chicken Pesto Pasta Bake - an easy recipe that is ready in minutes!
- Easy to make Sausage and Peppers in the Oven - this simple sheet pan meal is delicious!
- Creamy Pasta Primavera is hearty and full of tender veggies. Even picky eaters will love this recipe.
- Sausage and Okra Stew is a hearty soup that is just so good!
- Bursting with Tex Mex this Chicken Spaghetti is the ultimate comfort food meal.
- Steakhouse Salad is full of bold flavors and will complement your meal perfectly.
- Roasted green beans and carrots are a simple side dish that is full of fresh and healthy vegetables.
- Not only is this Garlic Stuffed Cheesy Bread delicious but it's great for dipping in this creamy sauce.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Sausage Peppers and Onions Pasta Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped white onions
- 1 cup of chopped bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 pound of ground Italian sausage
- 32 ounces pasta sauce
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 cups fresh shredded Mozzarella
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Cook your pasta to al dente, drain well reserving 1 cup of pasta cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the butter and onion. Sauté until the onions are softened, 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook and sauté another two minutes, add seasoning and mix until coated.
- Add the ground sausage and cook until there is no more pink.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the pasta sauce and mix until all ingredients are incorporated, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to the sauce, mix well to combine. If the pasta sauce seems a little stiff add a ladle of pasta water.
- Remove from heat. Add the mozzarella and the Parmesan. Mix until incorporated.
- Serve and Enjoy!