This easy chicken ala king recipe is super flavorful and hearty. The rich cream sauce comes together quickly with simple ingredients, making it perfect for busy weeknights. It's easy enough to feed the whole family but tasty enough to suit a king!
If you're looking for a yummy meal, be sure to give the Chicken Spaghetti Recipe a try!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It's a great way to use up leftover chicken, which also cuts down on prep time—a double win!
✔️ The creamy chicken dish is pure comfort food and tastes great over rice, noodles, or homemade biscuits - the ultimate comfort food!
✔️ This chicken ala king recipe features an updated twist on the popular dish, making it a personal favorite for everyone in the family. There will be no complaints—I promise!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- red or green pepper
- cream of mushroom soup
- cream of chicken soup
- canned mushrooms
- rotisserie chicken
- frozen peas
- parsley for garnish
- salt and black pepper
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced red bell pepper and cook until wilted.
- Add the soups and heat through. Then, add the mushrooms, chopped chicken pieces, water, and frozen peas.
- Heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve, garnished with chopped parsley.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
The classic recipe refers to a dish combining tender chunks of chicken (or other protein) with pimento peppers and green peas. Back in the early 1900s, it was generally cooked in a thick, velvety sauce made with chicken broth and sometimes fresh mushrooms or white wine.
"A la king" is a French word, or rather, phrase, that roughly translates to "for a king." In cooking, it refers to a variety of simple recipes where pieces of chicken are cooked in a delicious creamy sauce.
Sure! However, you'll have to cook it first. Prepare boneless, skinless chicken breasts for easy shredding by using the slow cooker or instant pot. Otherwise, just cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and heat it in the skillet for five minutes before moving on with the rest of the recipe.
There are so many ways to enjoy this great recipe. It's best over some type of grain (like rice or pasta) so that you can slurp up every last drop of creamy sauce. Serve it with a crisp salad or fancy veggies for everything from a quick weeknight dinner to a special occasion!
- If the heat is too high, your sauce might get a little thick. In that case, thin it out with some chicken stock or whole milk to fix it right up!
- This easy recipe uses pre-cooked chicken. Don't overcook the mixture or the meat will start to dry out.
- Save prep time by purchasing pre-diced red peppers from the grocery store. Sometimes they'll have a fresh blend near the produce, or you can use frozen.
- I like to use frozen peas because they don't get mushy as canned ones do. You can add them straight from frozen—no thawing necessary!
- Taste everything, first, before adding salt and pepper. The soup mixtures have a good amount of seasoning already, so you may not need any more.
Feel free to adapt this easy chicken a la king recipe to fit your preferences or budget! Here are some ideas:
- Replace the chicken with tuna for a similar, but just as delicious, tuna a la king!
- Rotisserie chicken makes preparing this dish easy, but you can use whatever kind of tender chicken you prefer or have on hand.
- You can add green peppers, green beans, broccoli, or a small diced onion to sneak extra veggies and flavor in.
- Replace canned with fresh! Slice up some Baby Bella or Cremini mushrooms for a fresher flavor.
- Don't be afraid to amp up the seasoning! Sometimes we'll add garlic powder or Italian herbs for a different twist.
- Spoon the chicken a la king into baked puff pastry shells for a fun, authentic presentation!
Refrigerate—Chicken ala king makes a super easy meal prep recipe. Simply spoon leftovers into an airtight container and they'll last for about four days.
Freezer—Keep chicken ala king frozen for up to three months. Portion it into freezer bags or a plastic container and seal it tightly. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Reheat—You can microwave the leftovers and they'll taste great! Be sure to stir a few times to evenly warm everything up. Otherwise, warm the chicken ala king over medium heat on the stove until it's hot again.
More easy chicken dinner recipes
- This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is another modernized twist on a classic recipe. It's just as delicious as the original but much easier!
- Use up leftover chicken and veggies in a way that makes them taste totally new again in this Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole.
- One-Pot Chicken Alfredo with Peas is satisfying, comforting, and oh-so-creamy! Make it tonight with leftover shredded chicken, this is such an easy dinner recipe!.
What to serve with chicken ala king
- Say "bye" to boring salads—this Chop Salad has a light and tangy vinaigrette that puts store-bought dressings to shame.
- These Easy Yeast Rolls are great for beginners but taste like they came from a professional bakery and are great for scooping up sauce!
- A classic dinner recipe needs a classic dessert to finish—try this No-Bake Lemon Icebox Pie and you'll be hooked from the first bite.
Hey if you want to catch all my videos, be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel. You'll be notified each time I share a new video!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Easy Chicken à la King Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 10.5 ounces cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 10.5 ounces can cream of chicken soup
- 1 4oz can sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken chopped
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup frozen peas
- chopped parsley garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced red bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Next add the soups and heat through. Then add the mushrooms, chopped chicken pieces, water and frozen peas.
- Heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve, garnished with chopped parsley. Serve over egg noodles or rice.