Stove Top Tuna Casserole is a classic comfort food dish that can be easily prepared with just a few ingredients. It is perfect for busy weeknights and makes great use of canned tuna. Your entire family will love this easy and delicious meal.
Tuna Casserole is a real favorite on the blog! Try that one or this recipe for Crockpot Tuna Casserole.
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It’s a super easy recipe that only takes 20 minutes to make!
✔️ You can use pantry staples that you already have in your kitchen which can save you a trip to the grocery store.
✔️ Canned tuna is affordable and a great source of lean protein.
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- egg noodles cooked
- canned soup - this recipe uses cream of chicken soup, but you can substitute cream of mushroom or celery if you'd prefer.
- evaporated milk
- Montreal steak seasoning
- canned tuna well
- frozen vegetables
- shredded cheese
- optional garnish: black pepper and minced parsley.
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Generously salt a large pot of boiling water. Add the pasta, cook to al dente. Cook noodles, drain well and reserve one cup of pasta liquid.
- Make the cheesy white sauce. Add the cream of chicken soup and evaporated milk to a large skillet or pot. Whisk together to combine. Add the shredded cheese and whisk until the cheese is melted.
- Season the sauce with steak seasoning. Add the drained tuna and frozen vegetables, and stir well.
- Add the cooked noodles, stir, and mix with the cheesy sauce. You probably won't need it, but f the sauce is stiff, add a splash of the reserved pasta water.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- large pot or dutch oven
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
It’s possible that there wasn’t enough liquid added to the recipe. If your casserole is dry, add a splash of pasta water or milk while it cooks on the stovetop to help loosen up the sauce.
Yes, you can absolutely use fresh vegetables in this recipe. Just make sure you cook them first before adding them to the casserole.
You can use whatever kind of cheese you want for this recipe. Cheddar cheese, mozzarella, or even a Mexican blend would work well!
- Follow the package directions to get the correct timing for your brand of pasta. Different brands have different cooking times, so don't forget to take a quick peak at the timing for this pantry staple.
- I like to use chunk light tuna for this recipe as the flavor is milder than white albacore.
- If your sauce is too thick, the pasta water will help thin it slightly without causing it to be come runny.
- Canned vegetables can be used, but you will need to drain them first.
- Green onions or fresh parsley make a delicious garnish for this simple recipe.
- For an extra flavor boost, add some diced onion to the casserole. Just sauté it in a little butter first.
- If you don’t have cream of chicken soup, you can use cream of mushroom soup or celery.
- You can also add some diced green chilies for an extra kick!
- If you don't have Montreal seasoning on hand, you can use onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in the creamy sauce.
- Tuna Casserole is always tasty when it's topped with crushed potato chips, parmesan cheese or bread crumbs mixed with a few tablespoons of melted butter. That buttery crumb topping takes it over the top!
Refrigerate - Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Freeze - This casserole can also be frozen. Be sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag or container. It will keep up to 3 months.
Reheat - The best way to reheat is on the stovetop in a saucepan over medium heat. You can add a splash of milk if it’s too thick. You can also reheat it in the microwave, on 50% power until warm all the through.
- Are you a fan of easy meals that your entire family will rave about? If so, give this One Pot American Goulash recipe a try. It's hearty, comforting and makes a great meal on busy days!
- This Pizza Tater Tot Casserole is one of my favorite comfort foods to make, when your craving something crunchy, cheesy, and simple to make. Trust me, this recipe needs to be on your meal plan!
- Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel is one of my go-to recipes to make when I need a simple meal that can be made ahead of time. It's a great homemade meal your family will love.
- These Steamed Green Beans are easy to make when you want to serve another fresh vegetable alongside this stovetop tuna noodle casserole recipe.
- Pair this hearty meal with a fresh side dish like these Pan Fried Vegetables for tasty meal that is not only well balanced but also family-friendly.
- If you are like me and have a sweet tooth at the end of a meal, try this simple Lemon Bar recipe. It's refreshing and super easy to make.
For a whole list of What to Serve with Tuna Casserole click here!
Hey if you want to catch all my videos, be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel. You'll be notified each time I share a new video!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Stove Top Tuna Casserole Recipe
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 8 ounce package egg noodles cooked to al dente
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 5 ounce can Albacore chunk white tuna well drained and flaked
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh cracked black pepper and minced parsley.
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Generously salt a large pot of boiling water. Add the pasta, cook to al dente. Drain well and reserve one cup of pasta liquid.
- Add the cream of chicken soup and evaporated milk to a large skillet or pot. Whisk together to combine. Add the shredded cheese and whisk until the cheese is melted.
- Season the sauce with steak seasoning. Add flaked tuna and frozen vegetables, and stir well.
- Add the cooked noodles and stir and combine to mix with the cheesy sauce. You probably won't need it, but if the sauce is stiff, add a splash of the reserved pasta water.
- Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and minced parsley.
Leave a Reply