Wondering what to serve with gumbo to make it a complete meal? In this post, I've put together some perfect side dishes that will complement the flavors of gumbo and bring your meal to the next level!
Gumbo is a classic Louisiana dish perfect for any occasion. It's a hearty and flavorful stew made from a roux with a variety of meats and vegetables—peppers, onions, and celery, or the Holy Trinity according to Louisiana cuisine!
This means you have plenty of options for appetizers, sides, and more.
What appetizers go well with gumbo
If you're planning to serve either meat or seafood gumbo and white rice as a main course, there are so many appetizer options that add excitement and flavor to your meal. Try choosing starters with ingredients that complement the flavors in a classic Louisiana gumbo.
For example, instead of a charcuterie board with meats, cheese, and crackers, consider a shrimp cocktail with Cajun seasoning! Choosing appetizers that fit the Southern theme is the perfect way to kick off your meal and entice your taste buds.
Best side salads with gumbo
Serving a side salad with your favorite gumbo recipe is a great way to add some freshness and crunch to your meal. Plus, a light and refreshing salad helps balance out the richness of your Louisiana stew.
- Cucumber tomato salad
- Creamy avocado pasta salad
- Spinach salad
- Mexican fruit salad
- Heirloom tomato salad
- Mexican corn salad
- Kale superfood salad
- Panzanella salad
- Deviled egg potato salad
- Watermelon quinoa salad
- Chop salad with olive oil vinaigrette
Bread and rolls
Serving bread and rolls with delicious gumbo is a great way to sop up all the savory broth. Plus, when you're trying to feed a crowd, carby sides help make the meal more filling.
- Air fryer garlic bread
- Skillet cornbread
- French bread slices
- Easy dinner rolls
- Hush puppies
- Cheesy bread sticks
What's for dessert?
Whether you have a sweet tooth or not, finish off your hearty dinner with a treat that's equally as flavorful as your main dish! Serve these desserts with gumbo for a 10/10 meal you'll crave weekly!!
- Butterscotch pudding
- No-bake peanut butter cheesecake
- Fried ice cream
- Apple hand pies
- Bread pudding
- Cream cheese pineapple pie
- Strawberry fudge
- Homemade pistachio ice cream
- Sweet potato pie
- No-bake lemon pie
What side dishes don't go with
Though there are many sides that are great to serve with gumbo, there are a few popular dishes that don't quite complement this classic New Orleans dish. (Definitely keep them in mind for a weeknight dinner next week, though!)
- Cheesy Pineapple Casserole is a fabulous potluck side, but the flavors don't go very well with gumbo.
- Creamy and hearty, Broccoli Casserole goes well with steak, chicken, and other meaty mains—but not so much with a meaty gumbo.
- Cracker Barrel Fried Apples taste fabulous with classic, homestyle foods but aren't the best with a big bowl of stew or soup.
These sides are also great with...
Now that you've got so many delicious and easy side dishes to choose from, you'll likely want to try them all! Consider serving one of these yummy main courses the next time you're in the mood for filling flavor.
- Shrimp and Cajun Pasta keeps the mouthwatering Southern theme going with juicy shrimp and loads of savory spice.
- Crockpot Chicken and Sausage Gumbo packs in the Cajun flavor with minimal work in the kitchen—it's so easy to toss together!
- Kick-off family dinner or a picnic the right way with some tender Ribs on the Grill served with flavorful sides that go perfectly with hearty meat.