Vegetable Bean Soup
How has your summer been? Can you believe it’s August already?!! That’s just crazy. How did this happen?
This is how the last three weeks have gone. First, our anniversary and the next day my folks came to visit. Two days after that we drove to Santa Barbara for my niece’s wedding (amazing!). Then after driving home, my folks flew back to Oregon. After that my birthday and we drove to Sacramento. There we picked up my niece who spent the last week with us, which was a blast! We did a super fun live feed on Facebook, made cookies, fudge and ice cream sandwiches. We went to the arcade, movies and a water park! However while we were at the water park, I went down a slide, wiped out and broke a rib. UGH! (Yes… I was trying to show Chloe how much fun the big slides are.) Safe to say she won’t be riding that slide… Good news is, that really slowed me down. I guess there’s a silver lining for everything, right? 😀
Since I’m slowing down (like I have any choice!!) I thought it would be a great time to share my recipe for Vegetable Bean Soup. There’s a ton of veggies – onions, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes and celery mixed with brown beans that are simmered on the stove with a ham hock to give it a great flavor.
I love to have a pot of beans simmering on the stove. It makes the whole house smell good! (Though you could also make this in the slow cooker.) This savory soup is rich and meaty, but sweet too. The carrots, tomatoes and bell peppers give it a slightly sweet flavor and you’ll definitely be going back for a second bowl.
You can’t replicate a slow cooked pot of beans. I’ve tried making this soup with canned beans, but it’s just not the same. So if you’re like me, slow down, be present and enjoy your summer! And my suggestion is to avoid the really tall water slides – I think those are for the little kids! 😀
Vegetable Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 lb dried brown or pinto beans
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 head cabbage chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 cup red or yellow bell peppers - about two small diced
- 1 can mushrooms
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ham hock
- 2 teaspoons salt or more to taste
- 4 cups beef broth
- Additional water as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juiced & of chopped parsley
- Pick thru the beans, checking for small rocks, blemished beans, etc and remove. Prepare the beans by following product directions by either soaking the beans overnight, or using the quick soak directions. Rinse well, set aside.
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. After chopping add the, onions cabbage, carrots, celery & bell peppers to the pot, season with the red pepper flakes. Add the bay leaf & ham hock. Sauté until tender, 5-7 minutes. Next add the canned mushrooms (juice & all), fire roasted tomatoes and beans to the pot. Add the beef broth and enough water to cover the beans about an inch. Simmer covered for 1 to 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stirring occasionally until the beans are tender. Keep an eye on it and add additional water as needed.
- When the beans are tender, taste for seasoning & add the salt. Remove the hambone and pick the meat off it and add it back to the soup (if desired or just discard - it's done it's job adding all that flavor!). Remove the bay leaf and discard. When you turn off the heat add in the lemon juice & parsley, mix well and serve!
- ***This meal can be made in the slow cooker - takes about 10 hours on low. Just make sure you soak the beans and saute the vegetables first before adding them to the slow cooker.***