The BEST Bean Soup Recipe is easy to make and simmers on the stove serving up slow-cooked hearty flavors. Filled with vegetables and seasoned with a ham hock, it makes a big, delicious pot of soup for just pennies per serving!
BEST Bean Soup Recipe
How has your summer been? Can you believe it’s the end August already?!! That’s just crazy. The summer zips by more quickly every year!
This is how the last three weeks have gone. First, our anniversary and the next day my folks came to visit. We’ve spent one day a week swimming up at Bass Lake just to get out and unplug.
Life’s too short to have your nose to the grind-stone all the time, right?!!
And even though it’s been super hot, I’ve been making soup. Bean Soups are one of my favorites!
Soup Making Pro Tip! As soon as this soup is done, ladle a quart out, seal and put in the freezer. For those days you don’t want to cook? Dinner will be done!Deb Clark
I thought this would be a great time to share my recipe for the BEST Bean Soup Recipe!
This recipe for bean soup has a ton of vegetables – onions, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes and celery mixed with brown beans that are simmered on the stove with a ham hock to give it a great flavor.
I love to have a pot of beans simmering on the stove. It makes the whole house smell good! (Though you could also make this in the slow cooker.)
BEST Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
This savory soup is rich and meaty, but sweet too. The carrots, tomatoes and bell peppers give it a slightly sweet flavor and you’ll definitely be going back for a second bowl.
Never salt beans when they are cooking because it makes them tough. Wait until they are tender to season
Bowl Me Over
Ingredients for Soup Recipe
- brown or pinto beans
- yellow onion
- red or yellow bell peppers
- canned mushrooms
- fire roasted tomatoes
- ham hock
- beef broth
- lemon & parsley optional
How do you prepare dry beans?
- Start by sorting the beans. Pick thru the beans and remove any beans that are shriveled. Also remove any small rocks, sticks or dirt clods.
- Rinse the beans well to remove any dust.
- Cover with water and soak overnight or use the quick cooking method.
How do you thicken ham and beans?
You can certainly thicken them with flour or cornstarch, but I bet you’ll find this soup is the perfect consistency.
No? Then take two cups of the soup and blend it until creamy. Add back into the soup pot and stir!
What’s good with bean soup?
I’ve tried making this soup with canned beans, but it’s just not the same. You can’t replicate the superior taste of a pot of beans slowly simmered on the stove!
Pinto Bean Soup Recipe
This is an easy soup that costs just pennies per serving!
Steps to make Vegetable Bean Soup
- Pick thru the beans and rinse them well.
- Soak the beans by either soaking the beans
overnight,or using the quick soak directions.
- Rinse the beans again discarding the water used for soaking.
- In a large
stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium highheat.
- Chop the vegetables and add them to the pot, season with the red pepper flakes.
- Add the bay leaf & ham hock.
- Sauté until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Next add the canned mushrooms,
fire roastedtomatoes and beans to the pot.
- Add the beef broth and enough water to cover the beans about an inch.
- Simmer covered for 1 to 1 1/2 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally until the beans are tender. Keep an eye on it and add additional water as needed.
- When the beans are tender, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Remove the ham hock and bay leaf.
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
More delicious Bean Soup Recipes!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- extra large bamboo cutting board – perfect for cutting veggies!
- soup and side bowls – I have two sets of these bowls and we love them!
- Farberware Glide Cookware Set – easy to use, these are an affordable set and I’ve even given this set as a gift!
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your pictures! And if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
BEST Bean Soup
BEST Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 lb dried brown or pinto beans
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 head cabbage chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 cup red or yellow bell peppers – about two small diced
- 1 can mushrooms
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ham hock
- 2 teaspoons salt or more to taste
- 4 cups beef broth
- Additional water as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juiced & of chopped parsley
- Pick thru the beans, checking for small rocks, blemished beans, etc and remove. Prepare the beans by following product directions by either soaking the beans overnight, or using the quick soak directions. Rinse well, set aside.
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. After chopping add the, onions cabbage, carrots, celery & bell peppers to the pot, season with the red pepper flakes. Add the bay leaf & ham hock. Sauté until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Next add the canned mushrooms (juice & all), fire roasted tomatoes and beans to the pot. Add the beef broth and top with enough water to cover the beans about an inch. Simmer covered for 1 to 1 1/2 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally until the beans are tender. Keep an eye on it and add additional water as needed.
- When the beans are tender, taste for seasoning & add the salt. Remove the hambone and pick the meat off it and add it back to the soup (if desired or just discard – it's done it's job adding all that flavor!).
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. When you turn off the heat add in the lemon juice & parsley, mix well and serve!