Easy Chicken and Dumpling Soup recipe offers slow cooked flavors in a soup that takes just 45 minutes! This is a classic, simple stew filled with chunks of tender chicken and biscuits that do double-duty as dumplings. It's packed full of your favorite vegetables too!
If you love simple recipes that are on the table quickly, be sure to give this recipe for easy carrot soup a try next!
Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipe
My Grandma Corliss was quite the cook. Grandma did more with less and served up comfort food to a big family without a lot of dollars.
It's warming up here in Fresno but no matter the time of the year, I love serving up warm comforting food that's budget friendly, don't you?
You'll love this soup, it's so easy to make and absolutely delicious!
Best Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Ingredients for Soup Recipe
- rotisserie chicken - or any leftover cooked chicken will work well for this recipe.
- carrots, celery and onions - classic chicken soup flavors.
- fresh thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes - for seasoning.
- chicken stock and refrigerator bake 'n serve biscuits - all the flavor in half the time!
- flour, butter and olive oil - help flavor and thicken the stew.
Rather than cooking a whole chicken all day long (not that there's anything wrong with that!) we're using rotisserie chicken.
Using refrigerator biscuits for the dumplings makes for another great shortcut!! Since we won't be using all of the biscuits, you can bake the rest of the rolls in oven and serve them with your meal!
This doubles the aroma of home cooked goodness because now you're going to have fresh rolls too! Swooning!!!
Dinner is done, doesn't that sound amazing?
Why are my dumplings chewy?
Dumpling get heavy and chewy when they are submerged into the broth. When you add the dumplings try to "float" them on the broth, this will result in lighter biscuits!
By slowly simmering these biscuits and allowing your stove top to do the work! Add the biscuits to the soup, cover tightly with a lid and don't peak!
Why do my dumplings fall apart?
Over-cooking the dumplings will cause them to fall apart. If they sink to the bottom there's a good chance you'll break them apart when scraping the pan also.
Want to learn more about soup making? Swing over to Homemade Soup; A Complete Guide to learn all of my secrets to make the most fabulous soup!
How do you thicken chicken and dumplings?
Chicken and Dumpling Soup is thick like a creamy chicken stew. It's easily thickened with butter and flour. This is a simple method that makes the soup thick and creamy - without any lumps!
Do you cook dumplings covered or uncovered?
You'll want to cover the soup pot - covering will allow the dumplings to steam as they cook.
How do you know when a dumpling is done?
Open the soup pot and insert a toothpick into the dumpling. If it comes out clean, the dumplings are done!
Steps to make Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipe
- Start by dicing an onion, celery and carrots.
- Add the spices and sauté, add the chicken, then add flour.
- Stir everything together and cook the flour for a minute or two.
- Next you'll add stock slowly and stir. The mixture will thicken nicely. This only takes a couple of minutes.
- Finally, you'll add the dumplings. Take a couple of the biscuits and thinly slice or dice them. You'll want them to be quite small. The dumplings will triple in size as they cook.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Place the lid on the pot of soup and allow the dumplings to cook thru. There is nothing worse than a gooey dumpling, so just be patient. It only takes about 15-18 minutes.
- Now's the time to put the rest of the biscuits in the oven! Cook according to package directions.
Chicken and Dumpling Soup
When time is up stir everything together and serve!
Start to finish only about 45 minutes! Rather than taking three to four hours. This is easy enough for a weeknight meal too!
Chicken and Dumpling Soup is a comforting meal that fills your home with an enticing aroma. But what if you don't have all day long? Then let's take a shortcut or two - you won't lose the flavor and your family will still be lined up begging for more!
More of my favorite Chicken Stew Recipes
Here are three tasty chicken soups I know you'll love! But this just scratches the surface! For all of my soup recipes, click here.
- 20 Minute Chicken Soup Recipe - just like mama used to make only done in minutes! AND it's delicious!
- Chicken Chipotle Soup - 30 minute smoky chipotle chicken soup filled with black beans, shredded chicken, peppers and onions.
- Green Lemon Orzo Soup - creamy, delicious, lemony and light, this one is SO good!!
If you are looking for the 10 most popular soups on the blog - this post has them all in one spot and they are delicious!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
If you love this meal as much as I do, be sure to leave a five-star rating below! Also, I love it when you tag me Instagram with pictures of my recipes!
Easy Chicken and Dumpling Soup
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots cleaned and diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 sprigs thyme remove leaves and dice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- just a pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 package refrigerated bake and serve biscuits
- ½ teaspoon tumeric Tumeric is optional, but I love using it in chicken soup. In addition to the beautiful color, it's full of antioxidants - super good for you!
- If you're using rotisserie chicken, pull meat from the bones, remove skin and dice or shred. You'll want about 1 ½ cups chicken meat.
- Using a large stock pot, heat the olive oil & butter over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots, celery, red pepper flakes & thyme. Sauté' until the vegetables are soft stirring often - about 5-6 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high and sprinkle the flour over the mixture. Continue to cook for another minute.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock. As the mixture comes to a boil it will thicken. Add in the shredded chicken. Lower the heat to medium low.
- Test for seasonings. If needed add salt at this time to taste.
- Open the can of biscuits - remove three biscuits and slice into strips or a small dice. Keeping in mind they will triple in size when they are cooked. Sprinkle them over the top of the soup in one even layer (very important!), do not stack them on top of each other. Cover & simmer for 15-20 minutes until the biscuits are cooked thru.
- The rest of the biscuits....you guessed it! Cook according to package directions and serve them with your meal.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
First Published: March 16, 2017 ... Last Updated: March 13, 2020