Don’t have all day to cook? My Easy Chicken and Dumpling Soup recipe offers slow cooked flavors from a soup that hasn’t simmered all day long. This meal is done in just 45 minutes! This is a classic, simple stew filled with chunks of tender chicken and biscuits that do double-duty as dumplings. It’s packed full of your favorite vegetables too! Definitely comfort in a bowl and with every tasty bite! I’m serving up this delicious meal and what makes it even better is that it doesn’t take all day long!
My Grandma Corliss was quite the cook. Grandma did more with less and served up comfort food to a big family without a lot of dollars. When I think of Grandma a couple of meals come right to mind – Mac ‘n Cheese, Goulash and of course Chicken and Dumplings! These are meals that stretch a buck and feed a crowd.
And with the weather that’s hitting just about everywhere right now? I think it’s ok to serve up food that is warm and comforting don’t you?
Grocery list for Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipe
- rotisserie chicken
- fresh thyme
- chicken stock
Rather than cooking a whole chicken all day long (not that there’s anything wrong with that!) we’re using rotisserie chicken. No making dough either! Using refrigerator biscuits for the dumplings makes for dumplings! No mixing dough either – yay!! Since we won’t be using all of the biscuits, you can bake the rest of the rolls in oven and serve them with your meal! This doubles the aroma of home cooked goodness because now you’re going to have fresh rolls too! Swooning!!!
Dinner is done, doesn’t that sound amazing?
How do you make chicken dumpling soup?
- You’ll start by dicing an onion, celery and carrots.
- Add the spices and sauté them for about five minutes, add the chicken, then add flour.
- Stir everything together and cook the flour for a minute or two.
- Next you’ll add stock slowly and stir. The mixture will thicken nicely. This only takes a couple of minutes.
- Finally you’ll add the dumplings. Take a couple of the biscuits and thinly slice or dice them. You’ll want them to be quite small. The dumplings will triple in size as they are cooking. Dice them small 1/2 inch pieces tops. You want the dumpling to fit on a spoon (along with the other ingredients).
- Next reduce the heat to low.
- Place the lid on the pot of soup and allow the dumplings to cook thru. There is nothing worse than a gooey dumpling, so just be patient. It only takes about 15-18 minutes.
- Now’s the time to put the rest of the biscuits in the oven! Cook according to package directions.
When time is up stir everything together and serve!
Start to finish only about 45 minutes! Rather than taking three to four hours. This is easy enough for a weeknight meal too!
Chicken and Dumpling Soup is a comforting meal that fills your home with an enticing aroma. But what if you don’t have all day long? Then let’s take a shortcut or two – you won’t loose the flavor and your family will still be lined up begging for more!
How do you make fluffy dumplings?
By slowly simmering these biscuits and allowing your stove top to do the work! Add the biscuits to the soup, cover tightly with a lid and don’t peak!
Want to learn more about soup making? Swing over to Homemade Soup; A Complete Guide to learn all of my secrets to make the most fabulous soup!
Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipe
Easy Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Chicken and Dumpling Soup is a comforting meal that fills your home with an enticing aroma. But what if you don't have all day long? Then let's take a shortcut or two - you won't loose the flavor and your family will still be lined up begging for more!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots cleaned and diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 sprigs thyme remove leaves and dice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- just a pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 package refrigerated bake and serve biscuits
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric Tumeric is optional, but I love using it in chicken soup. In addition to the beautiful color, it's full of antioxidants - super good for you!
If you're using rotisserie chicken, pull meat from the bones, remove skin and dice or shred. You'll want about 1 1/2 cups chicken meat.
Using a large stock pot, heat the olive oil & butter over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots, celery, red pepper flakes & thyme. Sauté' until the vegetables are soft stirring often - about 5-6 minutes.
Increase the heat to medium high and sprinkle the flour over the mixture. Continue to cook for another minute.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock. As the mixture comes to a boil it will thicken. Add in the shredded chicken. Lower the heat to medium low.
Test for seasonings. If needed add salt at this time to taste.
Open the can of biscuits - remove three biscuits and slice into strips or a small dice. Keeping in mind they will triple in size when they are cooked. Sprinkle them over the top of the soup in one even layer (very important!), do not stack them on top of each other. Cover & simmer for 15-20 minutes until the biscuits are cooked thru.
The rest of the biscuits....you guessed it! Cook according to package directions and serve them with your meal.
More recipes for Chicken and Dumpling Soup –