Vegetarian Lentil Soup Recipe is filled with crunchy vegetables, hearty lentils and it’s super easy to make in just 30 minutes! Put this into your weekly dinner rotation!
Vegetable Lentil Stew
This lentil stew is full of crunchy vegetables, lentils and it’s super easy! It takes only 30 minutes to make and it’s a healthy, hearty, delicious meal!
You know that soups and stews are my go-to meal. I can eat them all year long. Vegetable soups are a great choice because they are affordable, flavorful and so delicious like this recipe for Potato Soup. I always say soup is good food!
Vegetarian Lentil Soup Recipe Ingredients
- yellow onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, green beans, garlic – loads of fresh vegetables!
- green lentils – quick cooking green lentils only take about 20 minutes to cook.
- fire roasted tomatoes – canned tomatoes add another layer of flavor.
- vegetable stock – you can certainly use water but I recommend using stock.
- dried Italian seasoning, turmeric, salt, black pepper and a bay leaf – do you have all the seasonings you need? If you don’t have turmeric, you consider substituting saffron or yellow curry.
- olive oil – to sauté the vegetables.
Are lentils good for you?
Lentils are a great choice, they are low in fat and high in fiber. It’s a great choice!
How do you thicken lentil soup?
You certainly use flour or cornstarch to thicken the soup.
Another great way to thicken the soup is remove about a ladle of soup and add it to the blender and blend until creamy. Just pour it back into the soup! You’ve thickened the soup without adding additional fat or gluten!
How long does it take lentils to cook?
First dice the onions, celery, carrots, zucchini and green beans.[/caption]
Dice the vegetables in a small uniform dice. Being the same size helps ensure they will cook evenly and be done about the same time.
How do you make lentil soup from scratch?
- You’ll get started by chopping the vegetables – a carrot, celery, onion, green beans, zucchini. Don’t have green beans? Use asparagus. No carrots? You can substitute potatoes.
- Dice each vegetable into a small 1/2 dice. Not only will they cook evenly, but that way when you scoop up a big spoonful of soup you will get each ingredient in every bite!
- You’ll sauté the vegetables with the spices for about five minutes, then add the lentils, next a can of fire roasted tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and in fifteen minutes or so, dinner is done!
Tips to purchase lentilsWhen you’re at the store and purchasing lentils for your soup, check the cooking time – green lentils take less time to cook than red lentils. Sprouted lentils take less time. If you have more time, then you can certainly switch it up and experiment,
Easy Vegan Lentil Soup
We LOVE this stew it’s so hearty and delicious too, I hope you do too! Thank you again Cynthia for the opportunity to share this recipe with your readers!
More of my favorite Vegetarian Soups
Love lentils? Me too! Here are a couple more delicious lentil meals – Golden Lentil Soup (another great 30 minute meal!) and Lentil and Sausage Soup – with sausage and sweet potatoes – great combination and so yummy!
Here are a few more to try! This Instant Pot Lentil Soup is quick to make and amazing! Or how about Broccoli Cheese Soup – this was my Grandma’s favorite soup. Yummy Homemade Vegetable Soup is so soul-soothing and delicious!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Some of the items below contain affiliate links, however, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your pictures! And if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Vegetarian Lentil Soup Recipe
30 Minute Vegetable Lentil Stew
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot, peeled if desired diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 handful fresh green beans diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 cups green lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Start by dicing the vegetables into a 1/2 inch dice. Mince the garlic.
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat on the stove. When it’s hot add the diced vegetables. Also add the Italian seasoning, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf. (Do not add the salt until the end of the cooking process. Adding it before will toughen the beans.) Saute for four minutes until the vegetable just begin to soften.
- Add the lentils and the garlic. Saute for another minute.
- Now add the canned tomatoes – juice and all. After this addition, scrape up all the bits on the bottom of the pan. You’ll want all of that flavor! Add the vegetable stock next. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. After it comes to a good rolling boil, decrease the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes longer or until the lentils are cooked thru.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving. Add salt to taste. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and fresh diced parsley (totally optional) – adding these ingredients at the end brightens the flavor of the stew and is always a great finishing touch! Serve and enjoy!!