Vegetarian Lentil Soup Recipe is filled with crunchy vegetables, hearty lentils and it's super easy to make in just 30 minutes! Put this into your weekly dinner rotation!
If you love this meal, be sure and try this easy potato soup recipe next!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It takes only 30 minutes to make.
✔️ It's a healthy, hearty, delicious meal!
✔️ Vegetable soups are a great choice because they are affordable, flavorful and so delicious like this recipe for Potato Soup.
You know that soups and stews are my go-to meal. I can eat them all year long. I always say soup is good food!
- yellow onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, green beans, garlic - loads of fresh vegetables!
- green lentils - quick cooking green lentils only take about 20 minutes to cook.
- fire roasted tomatoes - canned tomatoes add another layer of flavor.
- vegetable stock - you can certainly use water but I recommend using stock.
- dried Italian seasoning, turmeric, salt, black pepper and a bay leaf - do you have all the seasonings you need? If you don't have turmeric, you consider substituting saffron or yellow curry.
- olive oil - to sauté the vegetables.
- You'll get started by chopping the vegetables - a carrot, celery, onion, green beans, zucchini. Don't have green beans? Use asparagus. No carrots? You can substitute potatoes.
- Dice each vegetable into a small ½ dice. Not only will they cook evenly, but that way when you scoop up a big spoonful of soup you will get each ingredient in every bite!
- You'll sauté the vegetables with the spices for about five minutes, then add the lentils, next a can of fire roasted tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and in fifteen minutes or so, dinner is done!
Lentils are a great choice, they are low in fat and high in fiber. It's a great choice!
Another great way to thicken the soup is to remove about a ladle of soup and add it to the blender and blend until creamy and pour it back into the soup!
Green lentils will take 15-20 minutes to soften.
Dice the vegetables in a small, uniform dice. Being the same size helps ensure they will cook evenly and be done at about the same time.
When you're at the store and purchasing lentils for your soup, check the cooking time.
- green lentils take less time to cook than red lentils.
- Sprouted lentils take less time. If you have more time, then you can certainly switch it up and experiment,
More of my favorite Vegetarian Soups
Love lentils? Me too! Here are a couple more delicious lentil meals -
- Golden Lentil Soup (another great 30 minute meal!)
- Lentil and Sausage Soup - with sausage and sweet potatoes - great combination and so yummy!
- This Instant Pot Lentil Soup is quick to make and amazing!
- Here are a few more to try! Easy Carrot Soup - this recipe is a great way to use up extra carrots AND delicious!
- Broccoli Cheese Soup - this was my Grandma's favorite soup.
- Yummy Homemade Brown Bean Soup is so soul-soothing and delicious!
- Be sure to try the Vegetarian Asparagus Soup Recipe, guilt-free and delicious!
There's nothing better than a great comforting meal! You might also like this easy Alphabet Soup Recipe next.
30 Minute Vegetable Lentil Stew
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot, peeled if desired diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 handful fresh green beans diced (about ½ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ¼ cups green lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Start by dicing the vegetables into a ½ inch dice. Mince the garlic.
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat on the stove. When it's hot add the diced vegetables. Also add the Italian seasoning, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf. (Do not add the salt until the end of the cooking process. Adding it before will toughen the beans.) Saute for four minutes until the vegetable just begin to soften.
- Add the lentils and the garlic. Saute for another minute.
- Now add the canned tomatoes - juice and all. After this addition, scrape up all the bits on the bottom of the pan. You'll want all of that flavor! Add the vegetable stock next. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. After it comes to a good rolling boil, decrease the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes longer or until the lentils are cooked thru.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving. Add salt to taste. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and fresh diced parsley (totally optional) - adding these ingredients at the end brightens the flavor of the stew and is always a great finishing touch! Serve and enjoy!!