Easy Potato Soup
Every couple of weeks I put together a care package for my mother-in-law. She’s 81 years old and no longer cooks. A few months back when I took her to the doctor for a check-up, we discovered she’d lost 22 pounds in a real short period of time.
No surprise since her diet consisted mainly of canned food & frozen meals. Really nothing tasted good to her anymore.
It was tough trying to convince her we could help, but once we did, I started making meals for her. Her favorite soup is potato soup. I made this (and other meals) once a week for six weeks for her and I finally asked her one day, aren’t you getting tired of potato soup? And she said well….maybe just a little! 😀
I think after tasting this, it may be your favorite too! This is an easy vegetarian soup and rather than purée it, I leave it chunky and so it is thick satisfying. Also I prefer adding sour cream instead of heavy cream or milk – the sour cream gives it a nice tang and depth of flavor. It tastes like you cooked it all day long!
Now I hesitate to say this is a 30 minute soup, but I do make this in 30 minutes from start to finish. But I’m truly hustling the whole time. I also dice the potatoes quite small so the cooking time lessens and it will easily fit on a spoon. Simple, basic ingredients – you probably have everything in your fridge and pantry – so why not make this for dinner tonight?
Easy Potato Soup #MeatlessMonday
What to make for dinner? Easy Potato Soup #MeatlessMonday - Everyone's favorite (vegetarian) potato soup. Creamy, delicious and hearty!
- 6-8 cups russet potatoes peeled & chopped (3-4 large)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream or cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Begin by chopping the onion & celery. Heat a large pot on the stove over medium heat add the butter & olive oil then add the onions & celery - season with salt, pepper & red pepper flakes.
- Next peel & dice the potatoes - add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil - stirring quite often - this will release the starch in the potatoes and help thicken the soup. Depending on the size of your potatoes it will take 14-18 minutes to cook the potato. The stew will be quite thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in both cheeses and the sour cream. That's it! So thick and creamy and an easy meal to put together in a short amount of time!
One last picture of Mama’s little helper…..I’ve mentioned this before, but we have dogs & and cats – it’s often challenging to take a picture with so many helpers nearby and Dudley was just dying for a taste! 😀 This picture is too cute not to share!