Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese – Drool-worthy comfort food just got that much easier! Ditch the box and make your own creamy, cheesy homemade mac and cheese in minutes in your pressure cooker!
Easy Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Before we get started, let me ask you a few questions…
Do you like cheese?
Do you like pasta?
Ok… we can be friends!
Macaroni and Cheese is my jam, in fact the entire Corliss side of my family would probably agree! (Click here for my Grandma’s Mac ‘n Cheese Recipe.) We were raised on Mac ‘n Cheese. Of course there was a reason for that, it’s an inexpensive meal that feeds a crowd. What’s not to love?!!
Grocery list for Instant Pot Mac n Cheese
- elbow macaroni noodles
- chicken stock
- half ‘n half
- cheddar cheese
- Italian cheese Blend
- seasonings – salt, pepper, dry mustard, red pepper flakes
For this cheese I used a pre-shredded Italian cheese blend and cheddar cheese. If you have a favorite cheese, give that a try! I was really tempted to use Velveeta cheese, but I figured since I already had in our family Mac n Cheese recipe it was time to try a different blend!
What is the best cheese for macaroni and cheese?
- Great melting cheeses like gouda, goat cheese, fontina, gruyere, mozzarella or gorgonzola.
- Cheeses like parmesan and romano add a great salty bite!
If you want to take this to the next level, add the finished macaroni and cheese to a buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle it with fresh breadcrumbs and dot with butter. Tuck it under the broiler for a few minutes until it’s golden brown. Amazing!
How to make Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Add the macaroni, chicken stock and spices to the instant pot. Stir well.
- Close the lid, set the valve to seal. Set on manual for 5 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer goes off, quick release.
- Remove the lid and stir in the butter, cheese and milk until the cheese is melted and the dish is creamy.
This would be a great meal to make with your kids too. They can add all of the ingredients right to the pressure cooker and secure the lid. You can help them release the steam and then they can stir in the cheese.
Not only fun to do together, but an easy recipe for kids to learn how to cook!
Start to finish this meal is done in less than 15 minutes!
Who’s the rock star now? You are!!
More great Instant Pot Meals!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
- If you haven’t purchased a pressure cooker yet, I have the 6 QT 7-in-1 you can read about it by clicking here – it’s been great and I highly recommend it.
Be sure to leave a comment below and tell me what you think of this recipe, I’d love a five star rating!! AND if you make it, be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Drool-worthy comfort food just got that much easier! Ditch the box and make your own creamy, cheesy mac n cheese in minutes in your pressure cooker!
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni
- 4 cups chicken stock Vegetable stock would be a vegetarian substitute.
- 1 cup half 'n half you can substitute milk or heavy cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cups Italian cheese blend I used a pre-shredded-packaged cheese
- 3-4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
Add the macaroni, chicken stock and all of the spices (salt, dry mustard, pepper and red pepper flakes) to the instant pot.
Close the lid, set the valve to seal. Set on manual for 5 minutes.
When the pressure cooker timer goes off, quick release.
Remove the lid and stir in the butter, cheese and milk until the cheese is melted and it's creamy.