What could be better than a warm, hearty dish of baked spaghetti and meatballs on a busy weeknight? This classic Italian comfort food is easy to make and always hits the spot.
Plus, just like the traditional pasta recipe, it's perfect for feeding a crowd! So, gather your friends and family around the dinner table for some good old-fashioned comfort food.
Next time try the Chicken Spaghetti Recipe - this casserole is creamy, cheesy and delicious!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ Just like traditional spaghetti, it's a hearty and delicious meal and there's plenty of cheesy goodness!
✔️ It's an easy dish to make ahead of time and freeze for later.
✔️ Perfect for feeding a large crowd, you'll love this fun twist for pasta night!
For the exact measurements for this delicious casserole, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- spaghetti noodles
- jar of marinara or your favorite spaghetti sauce
- can of golden mushroom soup
- frozen cooked meatballs - of course you make your own Italian meatballs using lean ground beef, ground pork, large eggs, etc. but this is a great time to take a shortcut!
- shredded mozzarella cheese - Monterey Jack cheese would be delicious as well.
- parmesan cheese
- pasta water
This is an overview of the instructions for the spaghetti and meatball dinner. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Preheat the oven, and spray the casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Season and boil a large pot of water, and cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions.
- Place the cooked pasta into a large mixing bowl. Add the canned soup and reserved cup of pasta water. Mix to combine, then pour into the bottom of the dish.
- Top with meatballs. Pour the pasta sauce over the meatballs and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Optional - Remove foil and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until cheese is browned. Garnish with fresh parsley, enjoy!
The following are affiliate links. We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Casserole dish - these are so versatile!
- Large pot or Dutch oven - this color is gorgeous.
- Large bowl - I have this set and use it almost daily!
- Aluminum foil - buy this in a large roll makes it much more affordable.
No need to thaw the meatballs prior to baking, they cook in the oven with the casserole.
Yes, this can be prepared and frozen before baking. Hold off on the cheese topping, though. Add that before you put it in the oven. This is a great make-ahead meal.
Absolutely, you can use a cast iron skillet to make this dish.
Things to know
- If you don't have a jar of sauce on hand, you can easily make homemade marinara sauce.
- If you are using homemade meatballs I recommend that you sear them in a large skillet with little olive oil first.
- Fresh basil or parsley is a great garnish for this dish.
- For easy clean-up, spritz the casserole dish well with nonstick cooking spray so that the noodles do not stick.
You can certainly make your own fresh meatballs using Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, etc, but I love taking a shortcut and using store-bought frozen meatballs.
- Use this recipe for ground turkey homemade meatballs instead.
- Not a fan of mushrooms? You can leave out the golden mushroom soup, or use a little Alfredo sauce or sour cream instead for creaminess.
- If you want a little more heat, add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes to the casserole.
- Nestle giant meatballs into the pasta, the kids would love those! Just be sure they are completely cooked prior to baking with the pasta.
- For extra veggies, add in some sautéed onions, mushrooms and peppers.
- Instead of tomato sauce, you can use alfredo sauce if you want to change up the flavor of this casserole.
Refrigerate - Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Freezer - This dish can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Just place the leftovers in an airtight container or freezer bag and store them in the freezer.
Reheat - Reheat this pasta dish in the oven at 350 degrees until warmed through. Or reheat in the microwave on 50% power in 1-minute increments until warm.
- Are you looking for a new family favorite chicken casserole? Look no further than this Monterey Chicken Spaghetti Casserole recipe.
- BLT Spaghetti Carbonara is an easy dinner on busy nights when you need a hearty meal quickly.
- Philly Cheesesteak Tortellini - cheesy pasta deliciousness right here, with all of your favorite ingredients!
- Johnny Marzetti Casserole - beefy and cheesy this pasta bake is. a hearty meal!
- Be sure to try the Stuffed Pepper Casserole next it's one of our favorites!
- Million Dollar Chicken Casserole is the cheesiest and a great weeknight meal!
- Filled with classic flavors, this Tuna Casserole recipe will quickly become a family favorite!
- If you love a good pasta casserole, then you are going to want to give this Pizza Spaghetti recipe a try next time.
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread is a great way to enjoy this savory side without needing oven space.
- A Caesar Salad of course! Grab a bag of salad at the grocery store and make it easy on yourself!
- I always end this comfort food meal with a simple sweet dessert like these Butterscotch Haystacks.
There's a whole list of What to serve with Spaghetti here - tons of great ideas!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Baked Spaghetti and Meatball Casserole
- 12 ounces spaghetti cooked to al dente and drained
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 10.5 ounces Golden Mushroom Soup
- 18 meatballs purchase frozen cooked meatballs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup pasta water
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil on the stove. Cook the pasta to al dente, as per package instructions, drain well. Reserving ½ cup pasta water.
- Place the cooked pasta to a large mixing bowl. Add the golden mushroom soup and pasta water. Mix to combine, and the pasta noodles into the prepared baking dish.
- Place meatballs on top of the pasta (no need to thaw the meatballs). Pour pasta sauce over the meatballs and sprinkled with shredded mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 35-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Optional - Remove foil and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until cheese is browned. Enjoy!