Slow Cooker Paella is made with tender chicken, pork, chorizo, and sweet shrimp seasoned with saffron. The rich flavors combine to make one delicious dish! This dish is easy to make and has so much flavor! Try Crockpot Paella for dinner tonight!
Slow Cooker Paella
This post is sponsored by Borges USA, Caramia and Star Fine Foods, all of the opinions are my own! #ad
I’ve shared a couple of recipes now using Star Fine Foods that have been a real hit! Everyone loved the recipe for Pasta Puttanesca and the recipe for Steakhouse Salad has literally blown up the blog! I’m hoping you love this recipe even more!
Have you ever had Paella? It’s a great meal and it’s very special. It’s perfect for dinner parties or holidays meals and I’ve made it more times than I can count!
When I lived in the midwest it was all about dinner parties and gatherings. The neighborhood I lived was fabulous! There was always a friend stopping by and plans being made and entertaining was a THING!
One time I brought it out to the table and served it in the pan I made it in. My friend Jay (afterward) said Deb I was pretty sure there wasn’t enough in that pan to feed the crowd, but it was like a neverending pot of food!
And it tastes AMAZING!
I’d make it on the stovetop. Standing and cooking for what seemed like hours while everyone visited and chatted around me.
Well that’s not fun, right?
Finally, I got smart and began making it in the slow cooker!
Crock Pot Paella
Slow Cooker Chicken and Chorizo Recipe has always been one of my favorite meals to make for entertaining and holidays because it has something for everyone and it feeds a crowd.
Chicken, pork, chorizo and seafood? Delicious!
Paella is a dish that layers flavors. As it cooks the flavors develop and it’s very complex. One of the key ingredients is saffron. It’s an expensive spice but totally worth the cost.
Saffron is expensive because it’s labor intensive. It’s made from the tiny, stigmas threads in the center of the crocus flower. Each crocus only has three stems – that’s why it’s so expensive!
Is there a substitute for saffron? Flavor-wise, no not really. The flavor is unique, but a pinch of turmeric will help mimic the color. Adding paprika and chili powder will give you good layers of flavor. Frankly if you’re making this, buy the saffron!
Slow Cooker Paella Recipe
Paella is the national dish of Spain. It uses a variety of meats; chicken, pork, rabbit, duck and/or seafood. It has bold flavors and can be customized for your meal and tastes.
The meat for this recipe is quickly browned on the stove top and then finished in your crockpot. Adding layers of flavor with artichokes, piquillo peppers and sun-dried tomatoes ensures you have all that flavor with minimum work!
I know you’ll love how much the Mediterranean products from Star and Cara Mia add to this dish. They are perfectly suited to add flavor! Combined with the ease of using your crockpot, this meal is a must-make!
Grocery List for Paella Recipe
- chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- pork tenderloin
- chicken stock
- frozen peas
- long grain rice
- green pepper
- artichokes in water
- piquillo peppers
- sun-dried tomatoes
- saffron threads
- Star First Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- garlic powder
How long does Paella take to cook in the crockpot
It takes about two hours on high.
What is the best rice for paella?
Round medium grain rice works well. It will absorb liquid quickly and is the traditional choice when making this dish. Spanish rice is great if you can find it. Jasmine rice is readily available and what I usually use. Do not use Arborio, the water/rice ratio will be off.
Steps to make Slow Cooker Paella Recipe
- Combine salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cut the chicken breast, thighs and pork tenderloin into three-inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large pan of medium/medium-high heat. Brown the meat In batches, add to the crockpot.
- Lightly toast the rice in the pan, stirring occasionally. Remove and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for two hours or until rice is soft.
- Remove the lid and add the shrimp, cook until pink.
- Add the frozen peas and stir to combine. Check for seasonings.
- Turn onto a platter, serve with lemon wedges – enjoy!
What to serve with Paella?
- No Knead Skillet Olive Bread – delicious with this meal!
- Caesar Salad – perfect choice!
- Raspberries with Creme Fraiche – light (and super easy to make!) this is a perfect ending to this meal!
If you love this recipe, here are a few more from the blog to make and enjoy!
I know you’ll love this and I can’t wait for you to make this recipe! Please rate it with five stars below and share with your friends! This is definitely a great photo op too because it’s just gorgeous! Don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – enjoy!!
Slow Cooker Paella Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 2-3 chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 pork tenderloin
- 1 lb. shrimp
- 4 oz. chorizo
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups rice
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green pepper seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 cup artichokes drained
- 1/2 cup piquillo peppers drained, diced
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- pinch saffron threads
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Combine the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cut each chicken breast into three pieces and the thighs in half. Season the chicken, slice the pork tenderloin into three-inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large pan of medium/medium-high heat.
- In batches, brown the chicken and pork on both sides, about three minutes, per side.
- Transfer the chicken and pork to the crockpot. Add the rice to the pan, cook for three minutes stirring occasionally. Remove and add to the slow cooker.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, piquillo peppers, broth, sliced chorizo, onion, bell pepper and saffron to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for two hours or until rice is soft. Remove the lid and add the shrimp, nestle them into the paella. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the shrimp is pink.
- Add the frozen peas and stir to combine. The steam from the paella will cook the peas.
- Check for seasoning - you might need a sprinkle of salt. Topped with minced parsley and serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy!