If you're in the mood for a hearty and home-cooked steak dinner, but don't want to spend hours slaving over a hot stove, then this Crock Pot Steak and Potatoes dinner is for you!
Just pop all the ingredients in your slow cooker and come home to a delicious and fuss-free meal. Perfect for busy weeknights!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It's so easy to make! Just throw everything in the slow cooker and let it do its thing.
✔️ It's a complete meal in one pot! No need to worry about side dishes, this recipe has you covered.
✔️ The beef comes out nice and tender after cooking all day in the crockpot.
For the exact measurements for the slow-cooker steak recipe, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- The best cuts of beef are top sirloin steak, round steak or cube steak. If you'd prefer, you could even use a pot roast or even stew meat.
- envelope brown gravy mix
- envelope onion soup mix
- baby potatoes - or if you have large or medium potatoes, cut potatoes into 2 inch pieces.
- beef broth or a cup of water
This is an overview of the instructions for the crock pot steak and potatoes recipe. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Spray crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lay steaks in the slow cooker. Add potatoes and pour in beef stock. Sprinkle with seasoning packets.
- Cover and cook beef and potatoes on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- slow cooker
- measuring cup
Yes, you can certainly put raw steak in a slow cooker. In fact, it comes out nice and tender.
It usually takes about 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
No, you don't need to brown the steak first. Just throw it in the crockpot and let it cook all day! You can brown it first in a large skillet if you prefer, but it's not a requirement.
Yes, it's possible to overcook steak in a crockpot. So make sure to check on it periodically and take it out when it's cooked to your liking.
I usually use top sirloin steak or round steak for this recipe. But any kind of steak will work.
Things to know
- For easy clean-up, spray your slow cooker well with nonstick cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner.
- I like to use baby potatoes in this recipe, but you can certainly use regular-sized ones instead. Just cut them into two inch pieces. Any smaller and they will be soft and fall apart.
- If you don't have beef broth, you can use water or beef stock instead.
- Thicken the gravy after cooking this crock pot recipe, by adding a cornstarch slurry or moving the gravy to a small saucepan and letting it simmer on the stove.
- I prefer to cook this slow cooker steak recipe on low heat instead of high because I find the beef becomes more tender.
- If you want to add more flavor to this recipe, you can place fresh onion in the bottom of the crockpot before you add the meat.
- You can also add flavor to this simple recipe by adding minced garlic cloves, garlic powder, steak seasoning, or Worcestershire sauce.
- A splash or two of red wine would add a deep and rich flavor to this simple recipe.
- Make this meal even heartier by adding your favorite vegetables like celery, bell peppers, and carrots.
- A can of cream of mushroom soup will add some creaminess to the sauce.
- Cubed sweet potatoes can be used in place of baby potatoes.
- Add a little heat with chili powder, cayenne pepper, or crushed red pepper flakes.
Refrigerate - Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freezer - I don't recommend freezing this recipe as steak can become tough and the potatoes mushy when reheated.
Reheat - To reheat, simply remove from the fridge and heat in a pot on the stove over medium heat until warmed through.
- This Crockpot Italian Beef Stew recipe is a simple dish that is perfect for busy days when you don't want to spend much time in the kitchen.
- Are you tired of the same old recipes all the time? Next time give this Crockpot Pork Chops recipe a try.
- Next time you are in the mood for a hearty meal, I recommend you try this Slow Cooker Roast Beef recipe, your entire family will love it.
- This hearty slow cooker recipe is great by itself, but I like to serve a side dish like this Outback Wedge Salad with my steak and potatoes.
- A bread side like this Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread is a great recipe to serve with a comfort food meal like this one.
- End this meal with Easy Lemon Bars for the perfect sweet and tangy treat.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Crock Pot Steak and Potatoes
- 2 pounds top sirloin steak or round steak
- .87 ounce brown gravy mix that's one packet
- 1 ounce onion soup mix one envelope
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place steak in the slow cooker. Add potatoes and pour in beef stock.
- Sprinkle with Lipton onion soup mixture and beef gravy packet.
- Top with butter.
- Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.