This low sugar Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Recipe that is easy to make and delicious! Juicy strawberries and tart rhubarb combine to make a luscious jam recipe that is the BEST! This fool-proof method will have you jam-making in no time!
Table of contents
- Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Recipe
- Low Sugar Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- How to make Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Recipe
Strawberries makes me think of summertime and rhubarb always takes me back to the lake and summers with Grandma and Grandpa. BEST memories ever!
Grandma always had fresh baked rhubarb pie when we’d visit. Most times she’d have 20-30 pies in the freezer. Often I’d help her make them. Making pies was part of the tradition as she liked to serve dessert at lunch and dinner!
And since we’d have anywhere from 18-40 (or more!) hungry mouths per meal, we definitely had to be prepared.
I have the best memories of Grandma. When she passed away, I helped my Mom clean things out. One of the things we found was a jar of jam I made for her.
My Uncle Jim shared that Grandma would carry that jar of jam with her when she moved from South Dakota where she lived in the summertime to New Jersey where she wintered with Jim.
It warmed my heart to know that Grandma kept that jar close to her and I know she’d love this recipe. Though she may say, Debbie, we could have made a pie with that rhubarb, I’m pretty sure she would love it!
Low Sugar Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
My Mom said when they were kids she’d often make a rhubarb sauce to spread over toast in the summertime when butter wasn’t available. Honestly, I would prefer this over butter all day long!
Is rhubarb high or low in pectin?
Rhubarb is low in pectin. It’s necessary to add pectin and acid (lemon juice) to help the jam set.
What does rhubarb jam taste like?
Some compare it to a tart green apple. Rhubarb is sour and acid and needs a tight balance of sweet to bring out the flavor of the fruit.
How can I tell when rhubarb is ripe?
Rhubarb is ripe during the hot summer months. Wait to harvest until the stalks are about 10 inches long. Some will be red, others will be green. The color of the stalk does not signify whether the fruit is ripe or not.
Can you eat the leaves of the rhubarb plant?
Absolutely not! The leaves are poisonous. If you are lucky enough to be able to grow rhubarb where you live, simply lob off the leaves and discard.
How to make Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Jam Grocery List
- lemon juice
- low sugar sure-jell pectin (pink box)
- 8 oz. canning jars with lids
Steps to make Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Recipe
- Wash rhubarb, dice – measure exactly four cups.
- Clean and hull strawberries mash – measure exactly 2 cups.
- Add the rhubarb and strawberries to a large heavy stockpot with the lemon juice.
¼cup of sugar and mix it with the contents of the Sure-Jell. Sprinkle it into the fruit, mix well again and set it on the stove on high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- When it comes to a hard boil add the remaining sugar.
- Continue stirring constantly and return it to a boil. Boil for exactly one minute. (Set a timer to make sure you get it for a full minute).
- Remove from the stove & immediately ladle into sterilized jars. Place lids on jars, screw on tightly.
- Process in a hot bath (boiling water) for 10 minutes to seal the jars.
- Makes 6 eight oz. jars.
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
I have several AMAZING jam recipes on the blog that are easy to make and delicious! Everyone loves homemade jams and jellies! They make great hostess gifts and during the holidays it’s such a treat to share with loved ones!
When we travel home, I always takes jars of jam with me to give to family and friends. My Aunts have even been known to arm wrestle over the last jar!
It’s just that good!
A few more of my favorite jams recipes!
- Christmas in July Pepper Jam –
BIGfavorite! Great as a jam, delicious as a glaze over pork or chicken. Yummy over a block of cream cheese with crackers! Bam BamPomegranate Jam – Super tasty with bread & butter or your favorite PB&J!
- Homemade Blackberry Jam Recipe – Easy to make and delicious, blackberry jam is totally worth the effort!!
- Ja Makin’ Me Crazy Mango Jam – Everyone loves this jam, it has the spice of the islands, this is a MUST make!
- Strawberry Margarita Jam – love a great margarita? Then you’ll love this jam!!
Is the thought of making jam intimidating? Trust me, you got this! And in case you have any questions, pop me an email or click on the this post – it has all of my jam making tips and tricks!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 8 oz. canning jars with lids
- 4 oz. canning jars with lids
- canning essentials box
kit stainlesssteel ladle
If you post a photo, please tag me! I’d love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you’re on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can’t wait to see how yummy this turned out for you! I would love it if you gave this recipe 5 stars!!
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Recipe
- 4 cups rhubarb diced
- 2 cups strawberries mashed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 box sure jell pectin pink box
- Begin by washing the fruit. Clean the rhubarb, dice – measure exactly four cups.
- Clean the strawberries, remove the stems and mash the berries – measure exactly 2 cups.
- Add the rhubarb and strawberries to a large heavy stockpot. Add the lemon juice.
- Measure ¼ cup of sugar and mix it with the contents of the Sure-Jell. Sprinkle it into the fruit, mix well again and set it on the stove on high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- When it comes to a hard rolling boil (a boil you can't stir down) add the remaining sugar. Continue stirring constantly and return it to a boil. Boil for exactly one minute. (Set a timer to make sure you get it for a full minute).
- Remove from the stove & immediately ladle into sterilized jars.
- Using a clean damp cloth, wipe the tops of the jars to remove any jam that may have gotten on the top of the lids. (This will keep the jars from sealing.)
- Place lids on jars, followed by the rings, screw it on tightly.
- Process in a hot bath (boiling water) for 10 minutes to seal the jars.Makes 6 eight oz. jars.