This Homemade Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe is over-the-top rich and easy to make! Everyone loves old-fashioned ice cream!
💭 Recipe backstory
It's no secret than Dan is a lover of all things sweet! And what puts the biggest twinkle in his eyes is ice cream. Vanilla, Black Mission Fig or Strawberry Yogurt - he loves nothing better than a sweet treat at the end of a meal!
I think his favorite part is the paddle from the ice cream maker. Usually by the time he's done there's more than a little bit on his shirt, but he's a happy guy!
This is a photo I took a couple of years back showing pistachios right before the harvest. When they are ready to harvest the skins on the outside turn a warm pink. They begin to break thru the outer shell. So beautiful!
And so delicious!
You know I could go on and on about how much I love pistachios, but instead... let's talk ice cream!
- heavy cream - there's really no substitute for the richness of heavy cream.
- whole milk - yes, you can substitute with two percent and even fat free.... but don't! It makes all the difference in flavor.
- sweetened condensed milk - more sugary, creamy goodness!
- vanilla - to help flavor the syrup.
- egg yolks - separate the eggs carefully and save the whites for another use.
- pistachio syrup - which I like better than pistachios paste in this application.
- shelled pistachios - you can omit the pistachios, but I really like adding them in at the end for crunch.
- green food coloring - also optional but the food coloring turns it the traditional light green color.
- Separate the yolks and whites of the eggs. Save the whites for another use.
- Whisk together the condensed milk, cream, milk, pistachio flavor and vanilla in a large pan over medium heat - set a timer for 10 minutes and whisk continuously.
- Slowly add the egg yolks. Continue to cook and whisk. The mixture will thicken slightly.
- After 10 minutes, pour the ice cream base into a large mixing bowl and place it in the refrigerator. Seal the top with Saran Wrap. Refrigerate the custard, it must be completely cooled.
- When you are ready to make ice cream, process according to your machine's directions.
- Take the shelled pistachios and give them a rough chop. Mix in the nuts at the end or simply sprinkle them over the top.
Good Pistachio Ice Cream will taste like the nuts.
Yes, lightly salted nuts balances the sweetness, it's delicious!
Well that's a silly question, you know I'm going to say this recipe right?!! 😋 There are some good store-bought options, but for homemade... look no further!
The best answer I have for you is because the flavoring you're using is not correct. Often times pistachios are substituted for almonds, which is a much cheaper nut to produce. Use good quality flavoring and you'll be enjoying pistachio ice cream!
Inside the shell, pistachios are lightly green in color. However, it's super light green. If your ice cream is green it's from green food coloring. It will not be green naturally.
Eggs are an important ingredient in homemade ice cream and it’s important that the custard is cooked properly.
Learn more about using eggs successfully in a custard read through this information at eggsafety.org.
Make sure the custard is completely cooled before processing it in the ice cream machine.
If you're short on time place the bowl of custard into a second bowl filled with ice water - then tuck it into the fridge. That will cool it more quickly.
Looking for more ice cream recipes? There are some delicious ones on the blog for you to try!
- Black Mission Fig Ice Cream is unbelievably delicious! It's rich and creamy.
- You'll definitely be going back for seconds for Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream it's amazing and simple to make!
- This Creamsicle Ice Cream is a burst of citrus and just SO GOOD!
And if you're as big of a fan of pistachios as I am, here are a few more recipes you should try!
- Honey Glazed Orange Salad with Pistachios
- Roasted Beet Orange and Pistachio Salad
- Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad Recipe
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tried it and love this recipe? I knew you would!! Please share your comments below along with a five-star rating, you’ll make my day!
Be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – so I get to see all of your great pictures!!
Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup Pistachio Syrup Recommend Torani
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup pistachios shelled and chopped
- Separate the eggs - reserving the whites for another use.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the condensed milk, cream, milk, pistachio flavoring and vanilla. Place over medium heat. Set your timer for 10 minutes and whisk continuously.
- Slowly add the egg yolks, one at a time. Continue to cook and whisk. Do not allow it to boil. Whisk the entire time. The mixture will thicken slightly.
- After 10 minutes is complete, pour the custard into a large bowl and place it in the refrigerator. Refrigerate for at least four hours - the custard must be completely cooled.*
- When you are ready to make the ice cream, prepare the machine. Process according to your machine's directions - mine took about 40 minutes.
- Shell and roughly chop the pistachios while the ice cream is processing. When the ice cream maker stops stir in the chopped nuts.
- Depending upon your machine you may need to freeze it longer, but why wait?!! We enjoy ours as soon as it's done!!
- If you're short on time place the bowl of custard into a second bowl filled with ice water - then tuck it into the fridge. That will cool it more quickly.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
Originally published May 7, 2019 - Updated to improve instructions June 17, 2021