Have you ever make homemade ice cream? I remember making it as a kid, but not since. Well, since I received an ice cream maker for my birthday….I decided it was time to start again!
Now looking back, it would have been smarter if I had read some other recipes first, but why? 🙂 I decided to give it a try! I thought putting a custard together along with some delicious mandarin juice I had in the freezer would be a winner and it was!
I kept the ingredients really simple; cream, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, vanilla, mandarin juice and honey – no sugar. Do you remember the popsicles you would get when you’re a kid? The ones with orange on the outside & vanilla ice cream on the inside? Well that’s what this tastes like.
Rather than use sugar, I opted for honey. When I was visiting my Grandma in South Dakota last month she sent me home with 2 quarts of honey from the farm. I’ve been saving it for something special and I think this definitely qualifies!
I decided to call it Creamsicle Ice Cream – and for never making ice cream before, well first time is the charm! The perfect dessert for you & your family – homemade and easy too!
Creamsicle Ice Cream
Is making your own ice cream easy? Yes, easy AND delicious! Grab this recipe for step by step directions for Homemade Creamsicle Ice Cream.
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 cups fresh mandarin juice (can substitute mango,peach or nectarine)
- 3/4 cup honey
- In a 2 quart sauce pan over medium heat, combine the juice and honey. Stirring occasionally until they are completely incorporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Separate the eggs - reserve the whites for another use.
- In a second sauce pan whisk together the condensed milk, heavy cream and vanilla. Place over medium/medium low heat. Set your timer for 10 minutes and whisking continuously, add the eggs one at a time. Continue to cook and whisk. Do not allow it to boil. The mixture will thicken slightly.
- At the end of the 10 minutes, add this mixture to the mandarin honey pan and stir to combine. Place in a large bowl, place that bowl over a bowl of ice and refrigerate for one hour.
- Add to the ice-cream machine and process according to your machine's directions - mine took about 40 minutes.
- Remove from machine, place in a freezer container and freeze until the desired consistency - about 3 hours.