Remember last week when I posted the Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup? At the very end of that post, I suggested you save just one cup of the soup because we would repurpose it....
So in the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta, this sauce will come together in just 20 minutes and make an incredibly flavorful pasta! Leftovers....seriously? Well even though leftovers are great....eating the same thing day after day isn't! 😀 So are you ready to get cooking?
Start by putting a large pot of water on to boil. While you're waiting for it to come to a boil, clean and slice two leeks, mushrooms and a handful of brussels sprouts. Using a large skillet, add a couple teaspoons of butter and olive oil and when it's hot & bubbly, add in the vegetables. Season with a bit of salt & pepper.
Like so - super simple! When the water is boiling, flavor the water with some salt & add the pasta. Boil according to package directions - I used a veggie spaghetti, pretty orange color and it added a lot visually to the dish. While the pasta is boiling, I added 1 cup of butternut squash soup to the vegetables. a bit of cream and some Romano & Parmesan cheese. Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta liquid.
Mix it together really well. Really take the time to work the sauce thru all of the pasta. If it starts getting to "stiff", add some pasta water and that will loosen up the sauce.
That's it - you're done! This meal takes only about 20 minutes - it's fancy enough for a crowd, hearty and delicious and you're using leftovers! How amazing is that? Don't have leftover soup? No worries - your local grocery store; Von's, Safeway and Trader Joe's all have good butternut soups that would work great as a substitute!
Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1 cup Butternut Soup
- 1 12 oz package veggie spaghetti noodles
- 1 16 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 2 leeks
- 6-8 brussels sprouts
- ¼ cream
- ¼ cup each - Romano & Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Fill a large stock pot with water and place on the stove on high. While you're waiting for this to come to a boil, clean and slice the leeks, brussels spouts and mushrooms. Heat a large skillet over medium/medium high heat on the stove. Add the butter & olive oil. When melted, add the vegetables and season with salt, pepper & red pepper flakes. Stirring occasionally.
- When the pasta water is boiling, season with about a tablespoon of salt and add the pasta.
- Back to the sauce. Add the butternut soup to the vegetables and the cream. Stir together well. When the pasta is done, reserve 1 cup pasta water and drain the pasta. Immediately add the pasta to the sauce. Sprinkle with the cheese and mix together really well.
- If the sauce gets too "stiff" add the reserved pasta water one ladle full at a time until it loosens up.
- Serve with additional cheese to pass if desired!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
ok....one more picture because it's so pretty! 😀