“You ever notice when you tell someone you’re going vegan everyone is like – Why would you do that? How are you going to get your protein? – but on the other hand if you tell them you’re going out drinking they are all like… Awesome! What time are we going?!!!”
That’s not me talking – it’s a quote from my buddy Jessica who is vegan. I spent some time with my good friend last week. It’s always so fun to hang with her. She is like a hummingbird going a hundred miles a minute and she never stops or complains. We dive into what’s been happening and update each other on the latest. Though we have only spent 3 or 4 hours, it’s more like dog-time as we pack so much into the little time we have!
This time we packed a meal into our visit – Jessica invited me over to try Nut Burgers – this is a recipe she’s been making for years and it was normally a pinch of this and a handful of that, so I had to stop her a couple of times to measure out the ingredients!
We started by measuring – equal parts of walnuts, cashews, sesame seeds, almonds and shredded carrots. Everything was shredded and pulverized using her amazing Vitamix Blender (I really want one of those – but until then I’ll be using my food processor!). It turned the nuts into a fine powder & shredded the carrots nicely. From there we mixed in the spices – cumin, garlic, cayenne pepper, curry, salt & pepper.
Next I shaped them into patties and fried them up using just a bit of coconut oil.
Now truthfully, I wasn’t sure they would stick together, but the oils from the nuts and moisture from the carrots made it work quite nicely! They made beautiful burger patties.
And from there…..the hard work was done! It was time to gather the family for dinner. And do you think you wouldn’t like this? Well, I assembled the burgers and handed the first one to Jessica’s 19 year old son who said – this looks awesome and proceeded to take a picture and post it up on Facebook before devouring it!
Jessica preferred her burger gluten free and so opted to have hers wrapped in lettuce and Tony, liked everything but the avocado and so we made his without!
I brought a couple home and made burgers for my hubby Saturday night. He enjoyed them also, but confession….we liked topping them with some mayonnaise and a slice of cheese! 😀 We also thought that a slice of good dill pickle really cut thru the richness of the burger – so for me, pickles are a must! These burgers are so flavorful and filling, they are a great rich meal and such an easy option for a weeknight meal!
So what do you think…..would you try a nut burger if it looked like this? Love to hear what you think!
Nut Burger #Vegan #MeatlessMonday
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 cup unsalted walnuts
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsalted almonds
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Finish with Burger buns pickles, tomatoes, avocado, ketchup - whatever you use on your burger!
- Using a Vitamix Blender or your food processor, begin by chopped the nuts. It's best to do them in a couple of separate batches because if you put too many in at once it will gum-up the machine. Pulse and process them into a fine powder. When complete, put them into a large bowl.
- Shredded the carrots and add them to the bowl along with all of the spices. Mix everything well and shape them into burger patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium/medium-high heat and add about a tablespoon of coconut oil. When hot, add the burgers and fry until golden brown on side one - about 4-5 minutes. Flip and do the same for side two.
- When burgers are nicely browned - it's time for dinner, enjoy!