We’re entering the season of excess…..too much turkey…..extra helping of mashed potatoes….a slice of pie and maybe some pudding too? Well at least I know if I start my day off right, it will help me to stay on track.
Steel cut oatmeal is all the rage – I’ve seen lots overnight oats recipes and I’ve tried a couple here at home, but truthfully at the end of the day – after making dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, the last thing I want to do is make another meal for the next day. And oatmeal is so easy and nutritious, love starting my day with a great meal!
I make enough for 3-4 days, cool it and put it in the refrigerator. It’s easy to heat up the next morning or serve cold if that’s what you prefer. I hesitate to say this is a recipe….because it’s really just too easy – a pinch of this, a sprinkle of that but I used to microwave instant oatmeal in the mornings and well….this is so much better! I top the oatmeal with nuts, fruit – dried or fresh, either works – a dollop of yogurt, a couple tablespoons of milk and about a teaspoon of honey. So delicious!
Steel Cut Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or dried fruit
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts - I use walnuts
- 1 tablespoon About one of yogurt per serving
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk or cream per serving
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Cook the oatmeal according to package directions with water & salt.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, chop some nuts.
- Spoon the oatmeal into bowls, top with yogurt, milk, nuts, fresh or dried fruit and a touch of honey. A perfect & deliciously healthy breakfast!