I made this soup especially for my friend Gina. She asked me if I had a good butternut squash soup recipe. She loves the soup they serve at Panera Bread. Hmmm….time to put my thinking cap on! I did some taste testing and this is my version, YUM!
My Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup recipe is creamy and rich, velvety and so smooth! The flavors are deep and complex and even better…..it’s made in the slow cooker! Chop up the ingredients, toss them in your Crockpot and eight hours later the soup is done and it couldn’t be any easier!
Use an immersion blender at the end to cream everything together, no need to dirty another dish! And while it is cooling off, toast some pumpkin seeds for garnish. I enjoyed the crunch these gave the soup. No pumpkin seeds? Try some toasted pine nuts – those would be equally delicious!
Ready to give this a try? The recipe is below! And if you have a little leftover soup (you’ll need about 1 cup), toss it in the freezer, I have another recipe to share next week that transforms leftover Butternut Squash Soup into an entirely different meal!
p.s. Do you have a favorite you’d like a recipe for? I love a great challenge, please pop a note or leave a comment and Gina – let me know what you think of my Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup! 😉
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- 5 cups squash for me this was one medium squash
- 1 14 oz package frozen butternut squash thawed
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 granny smith apple peeled and chopped
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds optional
- Peel the squash, remove the seeds and chop into 1 inch pieces. Peel and chop the onion and apple also. Dice the brick of cream cheese. Add the squash (fresh & frozen), onion, apple and cream cheese.
- Measure all of the spices and put them in a small bowl. Stir well to combine and then sprinkle all the spices into the slow cooker. Using a large spoon, stir well - add the honey and stir again.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and cover. Set the temperature to low. It will take 8 hours and the soup will be done. After 8 hours, unplug and using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is a creamy consistency.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds - using a dry pan over medium-low heat, toast the pumpkin seeds until they are a golden brown - takes about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan immediately - if you leave them in the pan, even though you've removed the pan from the heat, the residual heat may burn the seeds (happens really quick!).
- Serve topped with toasted pumpkin or pine nuts, delish!