Cuban Pork Chops
Today I’m sharing a recipe that’s loonnngggg…..overdue! I’ve posted pictures of this meal on Facebook and made promises about getting it together, but sadly…never put the recipe to paper. My apologies!
The first question is what is a Cuban Pork Chop?
It’s a pork chop with great marinade stuffed with ham, swiss cheese and a slice of dill pickle (yes, I said dill pickle!). Before you roll your eyes and delete this email, hang with me here – this is such a flavorful combination of flavors and something you have to try!
And it’s super easy – time to get your grill on!
Cuban Pork Chops
What is a Cuban Pork Chop? It's a pork chop with great marinade stuffed with ham, swiss cheese and a slice of dill pickle.
- For the Marinade -
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice + zest of orange
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For the Pork Chops -
- 4 bone-in pork chops
- 4 slices ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 6-8 slices thin dill pickles
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large Ziploc bag and mix well to combine.
- Take each pork chop and with a sharp knife cut a pocket in the fatty side of the pork chop. Work the knife and cut almost to the bone, widening the pocket inside the chop. Do this with each of the pork chops.
- Put the pork chops into the plastic bag. Seal it well and massage the marinade into the chops. When all the pork chops are covered in marinade, put the bag of marinade & chops into a large bowl and tuck it into the refrigerator for two hours.
- Your choice, put them on the grill or use your stovetop grill - here are the directions for in-house. Preheat oven to 375.
- Prepare the stuffing - pretty simple, just slice the pickles and set out the ham & cheese on a plate. Once you begin working with the raw pork for stuffing you'll be happy you have it set aside.
- After two hours, remove the chops from the marinade and discard the remaining liquid. Blot the excess liquid off the chops. Take each pork chop and stuff it with a slice of ham, dill pickles and a slice of cheese. Do not over stuff.
- Grill on side one about 5 minutes, twist about 1/4 turn and continue grilling another 3 minutes (this will give you great grill marks. Flip and finish cooking in the oven about 8 minutes or until the internal temperatures reads 145 degrees. Allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving