Navy Bean Vegetable Soup
Bean Soup is always a favorite in our home - my Dad usually requests it when they come to visit. There's something about those slow roasted flavors that just makes it feel/smell/taste like home & heaven. I love it because it's affordable and easy - all around a wonderful choice for a great meal!
My Navy Bean Vegetable Soup is really easy adds some additional flavor with the addition of your favorite veggies.
More GREAT Bean Soups and Stews!
- Brown Bean Soup Recipe
- Navy Bean Soup with Ham
- Recipe for Split Pea Soup
- 30 Minute Vegetable Lentil Stew
Navy Bean Vegetable Soup
- 1 package Great Northern Beans
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 cup ham bone plus two diced ham
- 1 pieces zucchini diced into bite sized
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon pepper, ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon and ¼ fresh parsley - optional
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Pick thru the beans, checking for small rocks, blemished beans, etc. Prepare the beans by following product directions by either soaking the beans overnight, or using the quick soak directions. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the vegetables to the pot; onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, tomatoes, corn & bell pepper to the pot, season with pepper & red pepper flakes & sauté until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add the bay leaves, ham bone & beans to the pot & add enough water to cover the beans and simmer covered for 1 ½- 2 hours, stirring occasionally until the beans are tender.
- When the beans are tender, check the seasoning - if it needs salt add it now. Add in the lemon juice & parsley. The addition of lemon & parsley at the end brightens the flavor, don't skip this step!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
Here's a great tip when cooking beans - hold off salting the beans until the end of the cooking time and they are soft. If you add salt at the beginning the beans will toughen and it will seem like they just don't get soft. Navy Bean Vegetable Soup is simple, delicious & filling. Adding the vegetables to the soup really rounds out the meal. Serve with a big slice of cornbread.
I made this last week, now I did put some ham in it but otherwise I followed the recipe. It was so good. Loved it.
Bowl Me Over
Bean soup is always good, I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe!