Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
This weekend we had a movie marathon. I had gotten my hubby all of the Star Wars movies for Christmas. Our brother-in-law came over and we plopped our hiney’s on the couch and watched a ton of movies – the goal was to watch all of the old movies and then go see the new Star Wars on Saturday (which was super awesome and so if you haven’t seen it, I won’t spoil it by saying any more!).
Anyway, on New Year’s Day I served a big meal centered around a lovely Glazed Ham – it was delicious and because I knew we’d have a ton of leftovers, I made extra baked potatoes because the next day I figured I would make Hash – sounds like a great plan….right? Well I didn’t realize my BIL doesn’t like bell peppers…or onions….so, the potatoes got moved into the bottom drawer of the fridge. So…..here we are on #MeatlessMonday and I found them & realized it’s time – use them or loose them. And that’s how this delicious #Vegetarian Loaded Baked Potato Casserole came to be! 😀
First I started by dicing a red pepper and onion and sautéed them in olive oil. The potatoes got diced up also – two large russet potatoes and one sweet potato. I mixed the potatoes, peppers and onions with some cheese, then piled it into a casserole pan and added eggs whisked with sour cream. Into the oven this goes for about 35 minutes – doesn’t take long because everything is already cooked except for the eggs.
Super easy and a perfect #MeatlessMeal – I’m serving this up with a green salad tonight. Loving this because it isn’t just easy, but a quick affordable meal too! Top the potatoes with a bit of butter & sour cream, or perhaps some salsa or Sriracha sauce? YUM!
Loaded Baked Potato Casserole #MeatlessMonday
- 2 russet potatoes - baked -
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bunch green onions
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- dash tabasco sauce optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375 - spray a 9x9" pan with non-stick cooking oil.
- Start by dicing the red pepper and onion. Dice them pretty small, about a ¼ inch dice. Heat a sauté over medium heat on the stove. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil & the pepper & onion. Saute for about 5-6 minutes until the veggies just begin to get soft. Remove from heat and set aside to cool in a large bowl.
- While the vegetables are cooking, peel (if desired) and dice the potatoes. (Remember these are leftover baked potatoes and so they are already cooked). Dice them into about ½ dice. Slice the green onions. Add the potatoes & onions to the bowl with the sautéed vegetables.
- Shred the cheese & place ¾ cup of the cheddar & parmesan cheese in with the vegetables. (Save ¼ cup cheese to top the casserole.) Carefully mix the ingredients in the bowl together and pour into the greased casserole pan.
- In a separate bowl crack the eggs and add the sour cream and tabasco sauce - plus ½ teaspoon (each) salt and pepper. Whisk together well and slowly pour over the casserole, be sure to distribute well thru-out the casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the eggs are set & the top of the casserole is lightly browned.