Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Have you eaten at Tahoe Joe’s? It’s a local steakhouse chain & we ate there a couple weeks back, in fact I even posted a pic on Facebook showing our amazing steak lunch (I mean how often do you have prime rib for lunch??!!!). It was delicious and both my hubby and I had a full meal – soup, salad, entree even dessert….Well my hubby ordered soup (usually it’s me doing that) and the soup was Chicken Pot Pie Soup. One bite of it and he pushed the bowl at me and said try this! After one spoonful I said, this needs to be my next soup, huh? He just smiled, grabbed his bowl, nabbed the spoon out of my hand and pulled the soup back to his side of the table! My caesar salad wasn’t quite as delicious after that. 😀
It was time to make some soup and actually it was really easy. I had some pre-cooked chicken breasts on hand – (check!) onions, carrots, celery and peas – (check!) chicken stock and cream (check and check!) time to get cooking!
I started out by dicing the veggies and minced some garlic. I put those into a large stockpot along with some butter & olive oil and some seasonings. Then sautéed then until they were soft – about 6-7 minutes, not long. Next I added some Bisquick – though you could use flour, I wanted to take a shortcut, I wanted that flavor that you get from a pre-made biscuit mix – so you can use pretty much any type of flour mixture that you may have on hand – pancake mix would work great also. I cooked this for a couple of minutes until it became a nice gold color – that would be the middle picture above. Then when you add the chicken stock, you’ll want to really scrape up the golden bits on the bottom of the pan. That’s where the flavor is!
And the topping, those little stars? Well they are simply store bought pie crust cut into stars – you know, even the kids would eat this because it makes it fun! The first time I made it, I even the cooked the (store bought) pie crust in a pie tin and just broke it up and scattered it over the top of the soup – just as delicious….but I thought….since I’m a food blogger and all (insert eyes rolling…) and as a reader you’re looking for fun ideas, right? 😉 Hence the stars.
This is super thick – after all it is Chicken Pot Pie Soup – so if you are looking for more “soupy” soup, reduce the flour to 1/2 cup or add more chicken stock. Either way you serve it, you’re going to LOVE this soup!! Flavorful, hearty and creamy – the whole family will be happy with this and your kids are gonna eat their veggies! I love Soup – after all Soup is Good Food!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup #30MinuteMeal
- 2 cups diced chicken
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms or 1 7 oz can sliced mushrooms drained
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken granulated bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 cup bisquick
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 stock bought pie crust
- Start by preheating the oven - cut the pie crust into shapes if desired and bake according to package directions - remove & allow to cool.
- Chop the vegetables & mince the garlic. Place a large stock pot over medium heat. Add butter & olive oil. When hot & bubbly add the vegetables, all of the spices and cook for 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic and bisquick and cook for another couple of minutes, mixing very well - as the picture shows above, you want to cook it until it's a golden brown - this will remove the flour taste and really develop the flavors. It only takes a couple of minutes.
- Then add the stock - scrape the bottom of the pan as you'll want to remove all of the golden bits on the bottom of the pan - that's where the flavor is at! Continue to stir and cook - it is SUPER thick! Cook for about 3-4 more minutes then stir in the frozen peas, diced chicken and cream. Stir well to incorporate and remove from heat. It's ready to serve - top with pie crust!!