Zucchini Tomato Soup for #MeatlessMonday
I was asked the other day how I come up with so many different ideas for food and I thought that was a great question, it really made me stop and think. Well, first of all, I’ve lived all over the United States – growing up in Oregon then over time moving to Washing D.C., California, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Minnesota and finally moving back to California a little over 11 years ago.
This has definitely influenced my foodie ideas. Additionally I’ve travelled a lot and hit nearly every state in the Union except Alaska, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut , Vermont, New Hampshire and Rhode Island, but believe me….they are on the list!
I enjoy embracing the cuisine of the area and of the season. I love to visit Farmer’s Market’s and relish the fresh vegetables and fruit – what a treat! I try to cook what is in season. And having said that….I’m still enjoying summer’s bounty with zucchini’s galore!
Here’s a simple soup I put together that cooks up in 30 minutes and is even better on day two! This soup centers around zucchini, tomato & hominy – ok….you’re not a fan of hominy? You can certainly substitute with garbanzo beans or even white beans, but I encourage you to try the hominy! With lots of spices like cumin and chili powder it’s warm and flavorful without being hot. I love the bright flavor the coriander adds to the soup also. YUM! Flavorful summertime in a bowl, enjoy!
Zucchini Tomato Soup
With lots of spices like cumin and chili powder it's warm and flavorful without being hot. I love the bright flavor the coriander adds to the soup also.
- 1 pieces large zucchini chopped into bite sized (about 8 cups)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 28 28 oz can peeled tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can hominy
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups veg stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon corriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili power
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat a large stockpot on the stove over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Chop the zucchini & onion. Take the time and chop them into small bite sized pieces, add them to the stock pot. Next add the spices; paprika, coriander, cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper. Sauté' the vegetables and spices for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and sauté for another minute or so.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the vegetable stock and water and bring it to a boil, reduce to simmer and stir in the parmesan cheese. Cook uncovered for another 15-20 minutes and the soup is complete!