Crock pot meatballs and gravy delivers all the comfort you could want on busy weeknights. Simmered to perfection in a savory, rich brown gravy, these tender meatballs are a great way to feed the whole family—fast.
Plus, the best part is that this flavorful dish only takes a minute of prep time. Now, that's what I call a truly easy dinner recipe and a great appetizer idea, too!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ Crock pot meatballs and gravy is a family favorite that even picky eaters enjoy. You can serve it over egg noodles, potatoes, or rice!
✔️ You only need six simple ingredients, so grocery shopping and prep are pretty much effortless.
✔️ This creamy gravy recipe cooks the easy way—in the slow cooker with the meatballs! So, you don't have to fuss with a roux or any extra steps.
Please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for the exact measurements.
- frozen meatballs
- canned French onion soup
- beef broth
- sliced onion
- brown gravy mix
- Heavy cream or sour cream - either will work in this recipe!
This is an overview of the instructions. For complete directions, scroll down to the bottom.
- Coat the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place frozen meatballs and sliced onion into the slow cooker.
- Combine French onion soup and beef broth in a large bowl. Sprinkle in the two gravy packets and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the gravy/onion soup mixture over the meatballs and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 ½ hours.
- Add the heavy cream, stir, and replace lid. Cook for 30 minutes more.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles, and enjoy your delicious slow cooker meatballs and gravy!
The following are affiliate links. We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Standard-sized crockpot or slow cooker (6-7 quarts or larger)
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
Nope! Add them in frozen, and at the end of the cooking time, you'll have flavorful, juicy meatballs and delicious gravy.
No, I recommend using fully cooked meatballs. Most frozen meatballs are pre-cooked but check the package carefully to be sure.
Don't worry. You can substitute the same amount of sour cream, half and half, or even cream cheese if you're in a pinch, and it'll work fine.
Sure! You can make this into a true "dump-and-go" crock pot meatballs recipe by adding all the ingredients (except the heavy cream) to a freezer bag. Label and store it until you're ready to cook!
Yep. Crockpot Swedish meatballs are generally smaller than traditional meatballs and, instead of an Italian-style red sauce, are cooked in a creamy brown gravy.
However, instead of nutmeg and allspice, this recipe has a more savory onion flavor. It's the ultimate comfort food!
Test kitchen tips
- Add the heavy cream just for the last thirty minutes. It can curdle if you let it cook for the whole six hours—that's slow cooking 101!
- Don't try to cook the noodles in the crockpot with the meatballs and gravy. Some recipes are designed for that, but this one isn't.
- The onion will soften as the gravy cooks. Cut it into thicker pieces if you like the texture of onions, or slice them thinner to make 'em really soft.
- Like most slow cooker meals, crock pot meatballs and gravy keeps really well on the warm setting. It's great if you can't get home to dinner right away and also awesome for serving as an appetizer at parties.
- Feel free to use homemade meatballs instead of frozen, as long as they're fully cooked. This is a great recipe to use up leftover meatballs!
- Almost any variety of cooked, frozen meatballs will work—beef, chicken, turkey, even seasoned Italian meatballs!
- In the mood for creamy mushroom gravy? Swap the onion soup with cream of mushroom soup. Add more fresh mushrooms if you like, too.
- Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce for a deeper flavor, or use some white wine to brighten it up. Wine makes anything taste fancier!
Refrigerate—Spoon extra crockpot meatballs and gravy into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezer—You can store leftovers in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. However, I don't recommend this method, as creamy sauces tend to have an off texture after thawing.
Reheat—Warm individual servings in the microwave until heated through. You may need to add a splash of water or milk to the gravy to meet your personal preference. Alternatively, reheat this meatball recipe in a large skillet over low heat until it's steaming hot again.
- Packed with flavor and so juicy, Skillet Turkey Meatballs are baked rather than fried, so dinner is super easy to toss together last minute.
- French Onion Soup Salisbury Steak comes together with just three main ingredients. It's hearty, beefy deliciousness that everyone loves to eat.
- Another easy dinner hack is cooking frozen burgers in the oven. No need to fire up the grill and it's an easy weeknight meal!
- If you're not in the mood for meatballs, try Crockpot Chicken and Gravy. Creamy, flavorful, comforting goodness with only a few minutes of prep.
- Roasted Green Beans and Carrots taste awesome with creamy crock pot meatballs and gravy. Plus, they're so easy to make!
- Texas Roadhouse Mashed Potatoes are so quick and taste fabulous underneath a heaping spoonful of meatballs. Yum.
- Rolls from Frozen Bread Dough burst with homemade flavor and texture but require none of the effort.
Hey, if you want to catch all my videos, subscribe to my YouTube Channel. You'll be notified each time I share a new video!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Crock Pot Meatballs and Gravy
- 26 ounce bag frozen meatballs I used FarmRich Homestyle meatballs with beef and pork.
- 10.5 ounce can French onion soup
- 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 1 cup onion sliced
- 2 .87 ounce packages brown gravy mix
- ½ cup heavy cream
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Spritz the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour frozen meatballs into the slow cooker. Top with the sliced onions.b
- Add the French onion soup and beef broth in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle in the two gravy packets and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the gravy mixture over the meatballs and onions. Using a large spoon, mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 ½ hours. Add the ½ cup of heavy cream. Stir and replace lid. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles, enjoy!