Smokey Cheese Fondue for Valentines Day
What does Valentines Day mean to you?
Do you go all out with flowers and a romantic at a fancy restaurant? Do you celebrate at home with your sweetie?
When Dan and I were dating, our first Valentines Day approached. We were living in separate cities, me in Sacramento, Dan in Fresno. I was really clear on expectations. Valentines Day is no big deal. Hallmark holiday, blah, blah, blah. Dan said the same thing. Whew! Boy did I feel better.
I went thru the day. When I got home from work there were beautiful flowers that had been delivered. (Of course there was – Dan is such a romantic guy!) and you know what? That made my day. I had called him during the day and mailed him a card and I felt good about our celebration. We would see each other the following weekend.
That night at eight p.m. the doorbell rang and there was Dan at the door with a card! I was flabbergasted! He drove up that night after work (three hours) to give me a card and a kiss. What a guy!!!
Now Valentines Day means much more to me. We still enjoy a quiet evening, neither of us likes fighting a crowd (that definitely takes the romance out of it). Instead, a great glass of wine, maybe grilling.
Last year I made a beautiful cheese tray and this year we’re enjoying a savory cheese fondue. For us Valentine’s Day is a time to reconnect. Giving each other our complete and undivided attention means everything!
This year we’re going to enjoy a beautiful meal of cheese fondue. The fondue recipe I’m sharing with you today is smokey and rich. Fondue is a great meal to share when you’re focusing your time on each other because it’s relaxing. There is no way to eat it in a hurry! This is your opportunity to turn off the television, your phones and the iPad off and just enjoy each other!
The cheese mixes together and is silky smooth. Bring it to the table when it is bubbly and hot. It is smokey, rich and savory. Enjoy this lingering over your favorite beverage – heaven!
A meal of just cheese and bread? Yes it is that simple, though you can also dip steamed vegetables, baby red potatoes, slices of apples, broccoli, Brussels sprouts or sliced bell pepper. Just choose your favorite dipper. Lovely meal for a beautiful evening!
Happy Valentines Day to you!
Smokey Cheese Fondue
- 1 cup white wine I used Chardonnay
- 2 cups gruyere cheese shredded
- 1 cup white truffle cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup smoked monzerella cheese shredded
- 3 tsp raspberry or cherry liquor Grand Marnier or Kirsch*
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Shred the cheese and set aside. Stir together the liquor and cornstarch & set aside.
- Add the wine to a pot on the stove placed over medium heat. Then begin adding the cheese. Add one handful at a time waiting until the cheese melts completely before adding the next handful.
- When all of the cheese has been added, whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Mix together well. Continue to simmer (do not bring to a boil!) over the stove for 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a fondue pot set over a flame when you're ready to serve.