This is a simple pie crust recipe, it’s been in our family for years. My Great Grandmother made it, my Grandma, Mom and now me! I’m honored to be passing it onto you.
Homemade Pie Crust Recipe - This is a simple pie crust recipe, it's been in our family for years. My Great Grandmother made it, my Grandma, Mom and now me! I'm honored to be passing it onto you.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Break the egg into a 1 cup measuring cup, add 2 tablespoons vinegar. Add enough water to 3/4 a cup (pictured below). Beat the egg until it is frothy, set aside.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a medium sized bowl, remove all lumps.
- Using a pastry cutter, add the shortening and cut it into the flour until the shortening/flour mixture has the consistency of peas.
- Add the egg & water to the flour/shortening mixture. Cut together again with the pastry cutter until it is well incorporated. Turn the mixture out onto plastic wrap. Cover tightly and refrigerate the dough for at least one hour.
- After refrigeration, put about one cup of flour on the surface you're going to roll. Flour your rolling pin also. Cut the dough in half (this recipe makes two crusts) and roll out each crust.