Cream of Zucchini Soup
30 Minute Zucchini and Parmesan Soup is creamy, silky and so flavorful you would swear you've simmered this on the stove for hours but instead takes just minutes to make. No cream either - we love this soup!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 8 cups
- 2 cups leeks sliced in half, cleaned and chopped
- 4 cups zucchini chopped
- 3 cups Yukon Gold potatoes chopped
- 1 16 oz container sliced button mushrooms
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt add at the end of cooking and only if needed
- shredded fresh basil optional
Start by chopping & cleaning the vegetables. Remove the dark green leaves from the top of the leeks and set aside, slice each leek in half and run them under cold water.*
Slice the zucchini in half and slice into one-inch pieces. Chop the potatoes into small one-inch pieces - this will help them cook quickly and evenly.
In a large stockpot over medium heat, add the butter & olive oil. Add in all of the vegetables and season with pepper & red pepper flakes.
Sauté the veggies, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until they just begin to soften.
Add in about 3 cups of stock - just enough to cover the vegetables. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
Continue to boil until the potatoes are fork tender, turn off the heat. Add the parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
Ladle into a blender in batches or use an immersion blender and process until smooth and creamy.
Taste to adjust the seasoning. It may need salt, but because the parmesan is quite salty perhaps not - just taste and add if needed.
Top with shredded leaves of fresh basil if desired, enjoy!
- Often times dirt & grime hides between the layers in the leek, just make sure to rinse them well to remove it.