This simple, budget friendly recipe doesn't take all day to cook. Kids love it because it's not super spicy.
- 1 to 1 ½ pounds ground chuck or turkey if you prefer
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 15 oz. cans of beans do not drain you can use pinto beans, white beans, kidney beans, black beans, garbanzo beans, whatever is your favorite, just use four cans of beans.
- 15 oz. can pork & beans do not drain
- 1 can chopped jalapeños 4oz.
- ½ cup water
- 28 oz. stewed tomatoes do not drain
- 1 cup chopped celery about two stalks celery
- 2 tablespoon each; dry mustard chili powder & paprika
In a large dutch oven over medium heat, brown the ground beef, drain excess grease, set aside.
Using the same pot, add the onions & sauté about five minutes until they nicely soften. Add the garlic and all of the spices and continue sautéing until it becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot except the celery.
Cover pot & simmer on low for two hours, stirring occasionally. You may need to add more water, just keep an eye on it.
At 1½ hours, add the celery, remove lid & continue for the final half hour to simmer.
- Use any combination of beans you want as long as you use four 15-ounce cans plus one 15-ounce can of pork and beans.
- No pork and beans? Just add a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar!
- You can use ground turkey in the place of the ground beef.
- If you've got a hunter in the family ground venison works well, too.
- If you use very lean ground beef you'll need to add a little oil to the pan before adding the onions.
- Be sure to check the chili while it's cooking and give it a good stir now and then.
- You may need to add a little more water during cooking.
- Be sure to put the hot sauce on the table so that anyone that likes it spicy can add as much as they want.
- Leftovers? try it over baked potatoes, tortilla chips, make a taco salad with it, or try it over mac and cheese.
Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 50mg | Potassium: 210mg | Vitamin A: 75IU | Vitamin C: 3.8mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1.2mg