Frosted Butterscotch Cookies
Frosted Butterscotch Cookie Recipe - Sweet brown sugar butterscotch cookies smeared with homemade brown butter frosting and lightly dusted with sparkly sprinkles!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 24 cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- 2/3 stick butter
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 2 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp sprinkles (optional) I used iridescent sprinkles.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Measure out the dry ingredients together in a small bowl, set aside.
Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
Add the egg and vanilla, mix again until creamy.
Add the dry ingredients and mix to combine, If using the nuts, stir them in at the end by hand.
Drop by teaspoons onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and allow them to cool on a baking rack.
For the frosting - When the cookies are done baking, make the brown butter. Brown slightly.
Using a stand mixer, beat the vanilla and powdered sugar. Slowly add the brown butter. Beat until light and fluffy.
Frost the cookies and dust with sprinkles if desired
Tips to make brown butter
- Although you may be tempted to use margarine, be sure to use real butter. That's where you get your butterscotch flavor! Plus that's what Grandma always said and she always knew what she was talking about! :)
- Use a light-colored pan because as the butter goes from yellow to golden, to a toasty brown you'll be able to see the color change better.
- The butter can go from golden brown to burnt in an instant - keep an eye on it and don't leave it unattended.
Calories: 172kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 30mg | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.5mg