Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup Recipe
If you love slowly simmered tender beef, barley and vegetables, this Beef Barley Soup Recipe will give you all the flavor in less than an hour! This is a big beefy soup loaded with plump barley and tender vegetables. It’s a delicious soup that is made in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 1 pound round steak cut into cubes
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes or one 10.5 oz can each French onion soup and beef consommé
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms I used a package of pre-sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
Remove the fat from the round-steak (if desired). Cut the steak into small cubes. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper, set aside.
Peel and dice the carrots and onion. Slice the mushrooms. Mince the garlic.
Turn the Instant Pot on sauté, when it is hot add the olive oil and round-steak.
Allow the meat to brown and on all sides. About two minutes per side.
Add the carrots and onions along with the Italian seasoning. Stir well to combine. Sauté for another couple of minutes. Add the garlic and stir again.
Now add the liquid, both soups, and the stock. Add the bay leaves and barley. Stir everything to combine.
Turn the Instant Pot off, then press the manual setting. Set the timer to 20 minutes. Top with the lid and seal. Turn the valve to seal.
When the timer is done your meal is complete. Do a quick release, stir and serve!
Optional - stir in a handful of minced parsley and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar. It will brighten the flavors of the soup.
How to make Beef Barley Soup on the stovetop or in the slow cooker;
I originally created this recipe using french onion and beef consommé canned soup. I've updated the recipe using crushed tomatoes and I really like this version better. If you prefer to make this like the original recipe use one can each of french onion and beef consommé soup instead crushed tomatoes. Follow the rest of the recipe as written.
- Slow Cooker Directions – Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker (minus the olive oil). Set on low. Cook 8-10 hours or until the meat is tender. Add the peas at the end, stir well and serve.
- Stovetop directions – start with a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and brown the meat. Next add the vegetables as described in the directions above. Simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is tender and the barley is completely cooked. Add the peas at the end just prior to serving.
Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 436mg | Potassium: 680mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3960IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 3mg