Spicy Thai Noodle Soup with Shrimp
Rich flavors from your favorite Thai Restaurant in a quick and easy soup. Spicy Thai Noodle Soup with Shrimp takes less than 30 minutes to make and is a hundred times better than takeout!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp lemongrass paste
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup cilantro loosely chopped, or 1 tbsp coriander paste
- 1 tbsp red chili paste
- 1 red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 14 oz. can *coconut cream or coconut milk (use full fat milk)
- 1 8 oz. package rice or egg noodles, cooked to al dente and rinsed. Divided between four bowls cooked al dente - the noodles will continue to cook after pouring the soup base over the top.
- 2 limes 1 lime juiced, plus additional lime wedges for serving
- 2 tbsp fish stock
- optional garnishes, cilantro, sliced red jalepenos, sesame seeds,
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and devein shrimp, slice in half (I used 21-30 count)
Combine the garlic, ginger, lemongrass and red chili paste into a blender. Roughly chop the red pepper, onion and garlic. Add it to the blender also. Blitz until a thick paste has formed
Heat a large saucepan over a medium-high heat, add the coconut or vegetable oil. Fry the paste for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.
Add the stock and coconut and bring to a boil, Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for five minutes
While the soup base is cooking peel and devein shrimp. Slice in half.
Add the shrimp to the soup base, simmer for an additional five minutes.
While the soup is simmering, cook your noodles (enough for 4 servings). Cooking the noodles according to the package directions. Divide the cooked noodles between four bowls.
After 10 minutes, add the fish sauce. Season the soup to taste with a squeeze of lime juice.
Divide between the bowls and top each one with fresh cilantro, slices of fresh chili, and spring onions. Serve immediately.
*Coconut cream was not available where I shop, I used coconut milk and it was just delicious!
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 86g | Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 1292mg | Sodium: 4018mg | Potassium: 78mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 29.4% | Vitamin C: 15.1% | Calcium: 48.2% | Iron: 48%