If you love roasted vegetables, cheese and sauce you'll love this easy cheesy vegetable casserole! Hearty enough to be a main dish or delicious as a side, even your pickiest eaters will gobble this down!
Easy Vegetable Casserole
If you like those recipes, you'll really love this easy casserole today! It's easy to make, loaded with vegetables and a great
It's super easy to make and with all of those vegetables we have that are growing in the garden or you've picked up at the market, it's perfect!
Loaded with cheese and topped with sauce, you might even get your kids to eat a veggies or two?!!
Hey.... I won't tell if you don't!
What vegetable mix do you use in casserole?
- This recipe calls for eggplant, tomatoes, onions, zucchini
andyellow squash. To change it up you could also use:
- bell peppers, asparagus, turnips, parsnips or really any vegetables that you like! It won't stack up quite the same, but it will still be delicious!
Grocery list for the
- beefsteak tomatoes
- red onion
- zucchini squash
- yellow squash
- mozzarella cheese
- spaghetti sauce
- bread crumbs
- olive oil
How to make a good vegetable casserole
Do I need to precook fresh vegetables?
Not at all, that's what makes this cheesy vegetable casserole so easy and delicious. You'll simply slice the fresh vegetables and cheese!
Can I use fresh vegetables instead of frozen?
I wouldn't recommend it for this recipe. Stick with fresh vegetables and enjoy!
I’m making this for a crowd and wondering if it can be doubled?
Of course, it's easy to double this recipe! And though I used a skillet, you can certainly use a large casserole dish - that will work nicely also.
Can I make this a few hours ahead of time and keep in the fridge until ready to bake
Absolutely! This is a great make-ahead dish. Just wait to add the bread crumbs and olive oil until you're ready to cook the dish.
Steps to make Cheesy Vegetable Casserole
- pour half of the sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
- slice the vegetables and cheese
- lay them in the pay alternating vegetables and cheese.
- season with salt and pepper
- top with bread crumbs
- sprinkle with olive oil
- bake until vegetables are tender and the top is crispy and browned
Something about roasting vegetables that gives them the most succulent flavors. This couldn't be easier and it is a delicious main dish or side dish for sharing!
Mixed Vegetable Casserole
What to serve with this meal!
My hubby loved it, my mother-in-law loved it (and she's a pretty picky eater!) I couldn't have been happier with this - especially the eggplant - soooo good!
And because I can never leave well enough alone....the next morning I took the leftovers and made a simple egg bake and we loved that too!
More of my favorite easy meals!
- Vegan Cuban Bowl with Plantains - served with a side of quinoa and red beans.
- Pasta Primavera Casserole - all the veggies you love wrapped in a creamy sauce in this easy to make casserole dish!
- Vegetarian Potato Soup - Creamy, rich and delicious!
- Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp - so yummy and super easy to make!
- You'll need a great knife for all of this slicing and dicing! Click here for the knives I use and recommend.
- Here's an affordable set of cutting boards for the kitchen.
If you post a photo, please tag me! I'd love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you're on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can't wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
Cheesy Vegetable Casserole
Cheesy Vegetable Casserole
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 zucchini squash
- 2 yellow squash
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1 32 oz jar spaghetti sauce - use your favorite
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Start by thickly slicing all of the vegetables eggplant, tomatoes, onion & squash - about ½ inch slices, set aside.
- Take your skillet or casserole pan and pour about half of the jar of spaghetti sauce into the bottom of the pan, covering it completely.
- Begin assembling the casserole starting with the largest vegetables first - layer the eggplant around the side, then tomatoes, onion and finish with the squash. If there are any extra vegetables, tuck them in the edges between the skillet & eggplant.
- Then slice the mozzarella cheese and tuck that in between the vegetables. Sprinkle the vegetables generously with salt & pepper. Pour the remaining spaghetti sauce over the casserole dish.
- Spread the bread crumbs over the top of the vegetables, sprinkle with olive oil. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes until the bread crumbs are browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit about 10 minutes before serving.