Sausage Kabobs - grilled indoors or outside, kabobs are always a great meal!
- 1 package brats I recommend Johnsonville Brats
- 1 12 oz bottle of beer
- 1 yellow onion cut into wedges
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 cup water
- Vegetables for skewering - bell pepper onion, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. and I recommend using yams or potatoes - however they need to be cooked first to fork tender.
- If using potatoes or yams, bake the yams until they are fork tender. If using baby red potatoes, boil them, again until they are just fork tender. Allow to cool.
- Next braise the brats. Add the brats to a deep frying pan set on medium heat. To the brats add the beer, onion, garlic and water. Bring to a boil & reduce to simmer. Occasionally turn the brats. Cook them for 30-45 minutes until they are completely cooked thru. Braising them will keep them juicy and flavorful.
- While the brats are cooking prepare the vegetables for the kabobs. Cut them into equal size pieces and set aside.
- Assemble the brats and grill, basting with Bacon Onion Sauce
Bacon Onion Sauce
Bacon Onion is a tasty sauce for these delicious kabobs - make extra because it's so yummy!
- 6 slices thick cut bacon cut into lardons
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 12 oz . bottle of beer - recommend a lager
- 1 14.5 oz . can of chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Chop the bacon into lardons and place them in a 2 qt. sauce pan over medium heat to render out some of the fat.
- While the bacon is cooking, chop one onion & mince a clove of garlic. When the bacon is brown, drain off the fat and add the onion and garlic to the pot. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, beer, chicken broth, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper & red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low or medium low - you want to keep it at a low bubble (not boil) and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix together the butter & flour with a fork until it is completely incorporated. After 15 minutes, stir it into the sauce and cook for an additional five minutes and the sauce will be complete.
- Use 1/2 cup of the sauce to baste the kabobs during grilling. Also serve the sauce alongside the kabobs at the table. This will make about 3 cups of sauce - some for basting with and plenty to share!
Use 1/2 cup of the sauce to baste the kabobs during grilling. Also serve the sauce alongside the kabobs at the table. This will make about 3 cups of sauce – some for basting with and plenty to share!