Do you like
Green Eggs and Ham?
I do not like them,
I do not like
green eggs and ham.
Ok….If I can’t talk you into Green Eggs and Ham…how about Red Rice Thai Wraps?
😀 I was hoping that introduction would get your attention! I have a group of friends in Sacramento. We’d get together whenever in town and usually met at a wonderful spot in Rancho Cordova Ca., Little Budha Thai Restaurant. Excellent food, we’d always get a variety of things, but there was always a staple and that was their vegetarian Thai Wraps. Red rice, spinach, fried tofu with a few other ingredients – I’d scratch my head each time I’d eat it wondering how they made it.
Well…..I nailed it! Changed it up just a bit by ommitting the tofu and adding endamame and peanuts for protein and it is soooo good!
Start by making the red rice. It’s very simple one cup of rice made the standard way – one part rice to two parts water. When the rice is done, add 1/4 cup of beet juice from canned beets (reserve the beets for use another day) and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix well to combine. The remaining ingredients are tortillas, plum sauce, spinach or mixed salad greens, Sweet Pickle Spears (check out my recipe), endamame and peanuts.
Spread each tortilla with a smear of plum sauce, and pile the ingredients on top. Wrap it just like you would a burrito, turning in the sides to seal and then rolling it up. These are delicious warm or cold! Super fun #MeatlessMonday meal!
I do like Red Rice Thai Wraps
Red Rice Thai Wrap
- 4 Tortillas
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/4 canned beet juice reserve beets for another use
- 2 tablespoons Plum Sauce per wrap store bought
- 4 cups spinach or mixed salad greens
- Sweet Pickle Spears
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 cup peanuts
- Sriracha Sauce optional
- t **optional shortcut** if you don' want to make your own sweet pickles substitute with pickled beets julienned then you can also use the juice to color/flavor the rice.
- Make the rice according to package directions. When the rice is done, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup beet juice. Stir well to combine.
- Then simply layer the ingredients onto a soft tortilla shell, beginning with the plum sauce. Then add a cup of spinach. Generously spread on the rice, about 3/4 of a cup. Add 5-6 Sweet Pickle Spears, 1/4 edamame and 1/4 cup salted peanuts per wrap. If desired top with Sriracha Sauce.
- Roll up the wraps - begin by folding the edges over and then roll them up tightly like a burrito.
- Can be served warm or cold - perfect for lunch or a picnic!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.