Rainbow Zoodles with Tomatoes for #MeatlessMonday
Have you tried using a spiralizer? It’s a vegetable slicer that takes vegetables like zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant and even carrots and slices them into long strips that look like noodles.
I thought it would be just another gadget, but I’ve found it’s really handy and love how it slices veggies! They are sold in all the kitchen stores – I bought mine off Amazon.com. I’ve used it a couple of times now and love substituting vegetables for pasta, they cook in minutes are so delicious!
For this dish, I used 2 small zucchini, a Japanese eggplant, 1 yellow squash and 1 carrot. That’s enough for a serving for two. Just like any other vegetable, they cook down, so you’ll want to make a bit extra.
If you’re using hand spiralizer, use small vegetables that are no larger than the circumference of the opening (for obvious reasons), plus they have smaller seeds. My last helpful hint is if you use eggplant, be prepared to cook it pretty much right away because the eggplant will get a bit brown as it hits the air.
Ok….let’s get to the good stuff!
Here’s my favorite dish we’ve enjoyed since I’ve been “zoodling” – Rainbow Zoodles with Tomatoes! Soooo delicious and so easy, it comes together in less than 30 minutes and it’s a filling perfect meal. The sauce has an onion, kale, garlic, kalamata olives, parmesan cheese and some spices….that’s it!
If you wonder how the “zoodles” hold up and how they compare to regular noodles? Check this out – you can twirl them around your fork!
I love this meal. The kale gives it such a nutritious punch and the kalamata olives & parmesan cheese a savory, salty bite! It will take you longer to chop the veggies than it takes to cook the whole meal.
Rainbow Zoodles with Tomatoes
- 2 small zucchinis
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 carrot
- 1 clove large garlic - divided
- 2 15 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cups kale. chopped
- 10 kalamata olives chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper - divided
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes - divided
- Start with the sauce. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the butter. Chop the onions and add them to the skillet. While they are sautéing chop the kale. Make sure you chop it really well - add it to the skillet with the onions. Though it seems like a lot of kale, it will cook down quickly. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, stir well to combine.
- Chop the olives and add them to the skillet along with the garlic. Sauté for about one minute.
- Next add the two cans of fire roasted tomatoes and the parmesan cheese. Stir well to combine, reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered while you are preparing the zoodles.
- If you want to stop here and use pasta - you're welcome to do just that, this sauce is delicious! If you are making zoodles - prepare them according to your gadget. When you are ready to sauté - heat another skillet over medium heat. Add in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil and then the vegetables & remaining garlic. Add in the spices - 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper & 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Zoodles only take 3-5 minutes to cook.