Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe – is a simple, yet full-bodied, meaty soup with tons of Italian flavor! Packed with veggies, delicious AND nutritious, this is one amazing soup!
I have been compensated by Jade Asian Greens to create this recipe, however the opinions are all my own!
Did you know today is National Soup Day? Yep! So I understand tomorrow is the Super Bowl and I should be sharing all kinds of delicious game day grub recipes like Cuban Sliders, Cheesy Salsa Bean Dip or my big and hearty Tailgate Chili. So if you’re still planning your menu, click on the appetizer tab on the blog and you’ll come up with some delicious options.
Instead though…. we’re talking soup! Specifically a Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe! So…if you love the Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli Soup and have always wanted to make it at home? Stay tuned because I got you covered! But first, I have a few more copycat soup recipes I’m going to throw out there first before we talk about the star of this show.
CopyCat Soup Recipes –
- Zuppa Toscana Soup – Big meaty and fabulous, this is another soup perfected from ahem… Olive Garden.
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup – One of Dan’s favorites, this soup is better than Tahoe Joe’s version, IMHO! Meaty, flavorful and hearty this is rich & decadent and super yummy – the kids will even eat their veggies with this fantastic soup!
- Butternut Squash Soup – do you like Panera Bread’s version? You’ll love this made-at-home creamy, rich, velvety and so smooth! The flavors are deep and complex & even better…..it’s made in the slow cooker!
Ok – are you cooking up some soup for National Soup Day?!!
This soup has Italian flavors piled high with tons of veggies. The recipe makes a big meaty soup that is as delicious as it is nutritious! Summer, winter, spring or fall this is the perfect time to make this because Soup is Good Food!
I’ve partnered with San Miguel family farm again (remember the amazing recipe for Shrimp Tacos with a Bok Choy Slaw?) and now I get to share this fabulous soup recipe! Pasta Fagioli Soup is piled high with vegetables. It has big meaty flavor with sweet Italian sausage, tons of flavor AND bok choy!
Why bok choy? Because it can stand up to braising and it’s perfect for a soup or stew. Bok choy is packed full of nutrients. Though this veggie may be unexpected with Italian soup you’ll find it’s a perfect pairing!
And here’s why the bok choy from Sand Miguel family farm is a great choice! Their greens are washed and ready to use when you purchase them, love that! (Anything to cut down on prep time! 😂) Grown right here in California where they focus on sustainable products. Greens are harvested daily to ensure freshness. Gluten FREE, non-GMO and preservative free also!
Click here for the complete recipe for Pasta Fagioli Soup
How do you make Pasta Fagioli Soup?
- Start by browning the sausage.
- While the sausage is cooking chop your vegetables and mince the garlic.
- Add the veggies to the stock pot along with the spices.
- Next you’ll add kidney beans, tomatoes and chicken stock – give it a good mix.
- At the end you’ll drop in the pasta. See, simple, huh?!!
How many calories in this Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe?
- My version has less than 350 calories per bowl. Per generously hearty filling bowl!
What is the difference between Pasta Fagioli and say minestrone soup?
- Pasta Fagioli Soups doesn’t contain a lot of vegetables – truly the definition of Fagioli means pasta and beans. But you know what? For me the vegetables are truly the star of the show. Trust me, you are really going to love this soup!
I am so excited to make this soup and share it with you. And now it’s my new favorite! It is super savory and hearty with a ton of big flavor. On day two? It tastes even better!
Another reason this is such an amazing recipe? It makes a BIG pot of stew AND it freezes GREAT! Perfect for a busy day when you don’t want to cook!
For more delicious bok choy recipes from Jade Asian Greens click here! You can also follow them on social media for the latest recipes and more meal time inspiration on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram.
Do you love this soup? Be sure to check rate it below with a five star rating!
What’s for dinner? This Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe is a simple, yet full-bodied, meaty soup with tons of Italian flavor! Packed with veggies, delicious AND nutritious!
Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Italian sausage (I used mild sausage)
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1/2 onion (I used a red onion)
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups baby bok choy chopped (I recommend Jade Asian Greens Baby Shanghai Bok Choy)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Ditalini pasta (or use small elbow macaroni or some other small pasta shape)
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, brown the Italian sausage, stirring occasionally. Drain and discard excess oil.
- While the sausage is cooking, prepare the vegetables: Peel and dice the carrot and onion, and dice the celery. Chop the bok choy and mince the garlic.
- Add the carrot, onion, celery, Italian herb blend and red pepper flakes to the sausage and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the bok choy and garlic and sauté for another couple of minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, tomatoes and chicken stock. Using a wooden spoon, scrape all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- The soup is done when the pasta is al dente (firm to the bite). Serve with crusty Italian bread.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.