Did you know today is National Burger Day? Well it’s time to fire up that grill!!
I don’t know about you, but I love a good burger! Burgers can be made out of lots of things, turkey, chicken, veggies – doesn’t always have to be beef, but that’s what I’m serving up today, yum!
That brings me back to our vacation. While on holiday in Hawaii, after a beautiful day of floating on the ocean (it’s really my favorite thing to do!)
We ate at a cool & edgy restaurant called Salt – Bar and Kitchen – the food was unique and inventive, the drinks divine! They made the BEST spicy cocktails….but that will be a discussion for another blog. 🙂 We feasted that night on baked oysters, calamari tacos, squid ink pasta and more! The kids shared a delicious hamburger that was topped with bacon jam. I had a little taste, YUM! So you know I had to come home and figure out just how that was done! And it is an AMAZING addition to a burger! In this instance, I stuffed my version of Bacon and Tomato Relish inside the burger with some blue cheese and grilled them. WOW!
Let me tell you how it’s done. First I took some bacon and cut it up into lardons. I began by slowly cooking the bacon over medium-low heat on the stove in a two quart pan. I cooked the bacon for about five minutes and poured out all the fat. Then I added sliced onion and julienne-cut sun dried tomatoes. I did not add any additional oil, as there was still some fat left to be rendered from the bacon. I also added some spices, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme.
After about 15 minutes I added brown sugar, red wine vinegar and water – brought it to a boil and reduced it back to a slow simmer. This took a while to cook down – nearly an hour. But what you’re left with is…..divine!
Rather than top off a burger bun, I thought it would be fun to stuff it inside a hamburger. I used my hand-dandy hamburger stuffer. (I’m not much of a gadget girl, but I like this thing! I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond for $9 bucks.) I stuffed the inside of the burger with that and blue cheese – incredible combination. However, if you don’t want to go to the trouble of stuffing a burger, you can slather it on your burger bun. It would be just as delicious!
Labor of love…yep, this one takes awhile, but it’s totally worth it! And since it’s National Burger Day – grill on I say!!!
Bacon and Tomato Relish
Bacon and Tomato Relish - This is a fabulous condiment for burgers - stuff it inside the burger or top off a brat. As an appetizer, take a croissant; spread with goat cheese and top it with Bacon and Tomato Relish, delish!
- 4 slices of bacon chopped into lardons
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes julienne-cut (not packed in oil)
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Over medium low heat, in a 2 quart pan slowly cook the bacon to render the fat.
- After about 5 minutes, drain the accumulated fat. Then add the onions, tomatoes, garlic and all the spices (everything except the vinegar & water). Continue to cook the ingredients together until the onions and tomatoes soften - about 15 minutes
- Add the red wine vinegar and water. Continue to slowly cook over medium-low heat, string every five to ten minutes until all the liquid has evaporated, 45-50 minutes or so. Yes....this is a labor of love, but it's seriously worth it at the end!
- When complete, it will have the consistency of relish - not too much liquid. It will be thick and rich.
Bacon and Tomato RelishThis is a fabulous condiment for burgers – stuff it inside the burger or top off a brat. As an appetizer, take a croissant; spread with goat cheese and top it with Bacon and Tomato Relish, delish!