If you’re looking for the most delicious roasted turkey recipe, this is the one! It’s easy & foolproof – and makes the most amazingly moist turkey.
I’ve used this method for smaller turkeys, just adjusting the tiered cooking time from 30 minutes to 20 for each degrees. Full disclosure – If you stuff the bird, then this recipe is not for you – it will completely change the cooking time. So plan on cooking your stuffing separately when making this bird.
My Holiday Turkey recipe has been featured on our local news – If you’d like to read about Talking Turkey with KSEE24 News – please click here!
- 1 18-20 lb Turkey
- 6 cups root vegetables - I use onion, carrots and butternut squash
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Clean & chop the root vegetables into large pieces. Put them into a large roasting pan and put the turkey on top.
- Mix together the butter and spices - salt, pepper, cloves & nutmeg. With clean hands, run the butter spice mixture all over the turkey, inside & out. Separate the skin from the breast meat and get it in there also.
- Mix together the wine and chicken broth and pour it over the turkey. Cover the turkey very tightly with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 500 degree oven as follows;
- First half hour: 500 degrees
- Second half hour: 450 degrees
- Third half hour 400 degrees
- Turn heat down to 350 and continue cooking for one hour. Remove the foil. Baste turkey as it continues to cook. It will take about 1 ½ hours more for a 20 lb. turkey.
- Allow to rest for at least a half hour, covered with aluminum foil. Remove the root veggies from the pan and you have a delicious side dish! Carve the turkey & enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.